Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Car History

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Christian92

Default Car History

Hello,

my name is Christian and I'm from Germany. A few months ago I bought my first Mustang; 67 Coupé and I love it. Think I live in the wrong country. :P So, why I'm in this forum? Because I hope that somebody of you can help me. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the history of this car. I have only the Martireport but no US title or any other papers. I know that the car was bought in Santa Monica and I already askes the dealer for informations but till now I have no answer.
So my question is, is there any opertunity to get a history of this car? So how many owners and where? Something like this... Would be awesome

Thanks!

And of course some pictures.

http://up.picr.de/28909946jd.jpg
http://up.picr.de/28909947vs.jpg
http://up.picr.de/28909948oe.jpg
http://up.picr.de/28909950lz.jpg
http://up.picr.de/28909982en.jpg
Old 06-15-2017, 03:38 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to get history on your car unless you can trace backwards from the person you bought it from. The original dealer in Santa Monica isn't likely to give you any information; even if they have the records of who they sold it to (unlikely), the records are confidential. Businesses don't generally give out client information.

It's vaguely possible that the VIN is in the California DMV system, depending on when the most recent registration in California was. That said, I'm not sure how you'd get that information without knowing someone out here in law enforcement that would be able to look it up for you.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Gun Jam

wouldnt the vin number provide basic info like which plant the car was manufactured in?

That might be the extent of your ability to search history for this vehicle.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Christian92

First of all thanks for your answer.

That sounds not very good. I can't trace backwards because the guy I bought the car from has no more informations. Only that he imported the car in 2000.
And I guess you're right with the dealer. I just thought give it a try.

And there is no official way to get the history from DMV? Because somebody told me, that it's possible in some states.
Maybe someone from the law enforcement is reading this and can help; you'll get free german beer. ;P
Old 06-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Christian92

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
wouldnt the vin number provide basic info like which plant the car was manufactured in?

That might be the extent of your ability to search history for this vehicle.

Yeah, with the Martireport I gut this basic informations. But would be pretty interesting to know more.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Christian92

And I hope my english is not too bad... Didn't speak for a while.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Gun Jam

out side of the vin and perhaps a build sheet (people find these under dashboard sometimes or seats) its probably dusty roads acquiring any further vehicle history unless you knew the previous owner who knew the original owner...
Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Your English is fine

Getting any information from the CA DMV is an absolute nightmare, and that assumes that you have a legitimate reason to do so.

For obvious liability/privacy concerns, the DMV does not give up a vehicle's registered owner information without just cause. Law enforcement can call and get this done, but private citizens don't need to be stalking other private citizens using confidential vehicle registration information. I certainly wouldn't want the DMV giving my information out to any future owner of one of my cars.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:12 AM
Christian92

Thanks; so everybody can understand me...

Yeah, I already heard that the DMV CA is kind of difficult. :/ The DMV answered me and told me that I have to send in a Request of Record Information (INF70) https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
Do you have some experience with this? What should I write in Section D?

And I know what you mean. Wouldn't that good if anybody can get any information. For me it would be also ok just to know how many owners the car had and where till export. Maybe if there was an accident or something else. So no names and full adresses.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Section D is the part you don't qualify for. You're interested in the information, but you have no legitimate reason to request it.

One option is a CARFAX report, but that only shows reported accidents for the vehicle, and doesn't always catch all of those.