Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

WTF turn signal issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Shawn Sweeney

Question WTF turn signal issues.....

I have a 66 notch 289 auto. Everything worked before I replaced the tail light buckets (scott drake ). So I put it all back together and get the usual both tail lights flashingand then one then the other,plus the dash lights would flash with them, well I didn't even think to look at the contacts in the tail light housing (that was the issue for that problem) so I ordered a new turn signal switch (cancel cam and horn where iffy at best anyway). So on to my current problem. I can have my car on and headlights off or just parking lights on and the turn signals work (will test again and reassemble today),but when the head lights are on nothing flashes it stays solid. Any ideas on what the problem is? Could it be the headlight switch.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm going to recommend you post over on this forum. Midlife, one of the forum regulars, does harness refurb and is pretty good with wiring and can probably get you on the right track to figuring out the problem.

I can do wiring work...but I hate it. It takes a lot of staring at wiring diagrams and poking at things with a multimeter.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:04 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

bad bulb, or bad contact. These 1157, two contact, bulbs are notorious for sucking. You can have a good bulb, but if its not making proper contact on BOTH pins, it won't function. The twist, lock, and contacts all have to align. I've had too many bulbs where they didn't match, you'd twist them into place, and sure nuff, no contact, meanwhile you're scratching your **** chasing your tail trying to fix what's actually a bad brand new bulb.

Last edited by groho; 06-16-2017 at 12:09 PM.