Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'66 289 dies while driving 30 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 AM
camco2

Default '66 289 dies while driving 30 minutes

Any help would be appreciated
The '66 consistently dies while driving at the 30 minute mark
It just shuts off- 1st thought it was electrical cause there was no spitting and sputtering , but since then I have caught it when it tried to die and I gassed it and was able to keep it running (so now thinking fuel system (carb))
Parts i have changed in the process (a few months now)-
2 different new coils (current one is an accel)
Ignition switch
Carb diaphragm

Things I'll try next
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Electronic ignition (get rid of points)

Thanks for your time
Old 09-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Gun Jam

odd that it appears so time specific...Do you drive the same route?
Would it die if it were on the freeway?
Would it die if it were driving at 45mph down a street?
or does it always die after 30 min stopped at idle?
Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 PM
camco2

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
odd that it appears so time specific...Do you drive the same route?
Would it die if it were on the freeway?
Would it die if it were driving at 45mph down a street?
or does it always die after 30 min stopped at idle?
yes same route
yes would die on freeway and at any speed
hasn't died while stopped at idle
one time i made it back to my garage after 30 + minutes of driving and i thought things were good ,parked it then revved it up and it died coming down fron rev,but other than that it dies while driving
usually have to wait a couple hours then it starts otherwise it doesnt start back up right after it dies
Old 09-25-2017, 04:05 PM
Gun Jam

once its dead do you still get spark? You need to check this pull the boot off the coil and place a grounded wrench over the coil about 1/2" above the coil neck and see if the spark jumps to the wrench...is it bright and blue?

Check for fuel in the carb. You can do this by removing the air cleaner and with the engine off pull full throttle and you should see a solid stream of fuel shoot into the carb as you look down the front venturies..this is the accelerator pump it uses float fuel if there is no fuel in the floats it wont **** into the carb. You should get at least 3 solid shots out of it probably more. If you get only 1 or 2 you probably have a fuel delivery issue.

Check both these when the car is running okay like in the morning then compare to after it dies.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:12 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Does it start right back up after it does? Or do you have to wait a few min before it will fire up again?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

I believe its referred to as "coil breakdown". The ignition coil shuts down, either overheating, lack of fluid, etc. It typically will recover shortly after shutting off.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:12 PM
camco2

gun jam -thank you ,early on when it was dieing -had no spark ,put a new coil in ,but didn't solve the problem and i tested the coil and it tested bad ,so replaced it with the current coil (accel), still hasn't solved it,looked like it was getting fuel, ,but as you suggested next time i get it out and after it dies i will check spark and fuel

drewsky- only once has it started right back up (after 2nd crank), but usually i have to wait a couple hours ,then it starts right up, i thought maybe the coil was overheating,but this is the third coil ive had

groho-yes ,thank you i thought of that,the coil actually sits horizontal and i've worried about the liquid (oil) in the coil leaking out or not being in the right spot to do its job (which i imagine helps cool it)
Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

did you remove and replace the pink wire from the ignition switch to the coil? You still need either the pink wire or the proper resistor (150001 if a Super Coil) or the coil over heats and dies.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:37 PM
camco2

Originally Posted by bop11
did you remove and replace the pink wire from the ignition switch to the coil? You still need either the pink wire or the proper resistor (150001 if a Super Coil) or the coil over heats and dies.
Didn't replace pink wire
Accel super stock 8140 coil
When running I get 9 something volts on the + side of coil so I believe I have the proper resistor ,let me know
Thanks
Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Jeff DeWitt

I had something really similar happen with my Studebaker pickup. I'd drive for a while and it would suddenly die. After it sat for a while it would start right up and run fine for a while.
The truck had sat for a while and there was some kind of junk and a bit of rust in the gas tank. I took the tank out and gave it a good cleaning with diluted Drano and some chain. After thoroughly rinsing it and giving it plenty of time to dry I put it back in, put in a new fuel filter, and the problem never came back.

Quick Reply: '66 289 dies while driving 30 minutes