Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Little help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Stoke

Default Little help please

I have a 1970 302 that I'm trying to get into the car. I had the oil pump with the distributor shaft and oil pan installed. I have the heads on and thought I was ready to stab the distributor and drop it in the car. I got my drill and tool to put on the shaft leading to the oil pump to prime the pump and get oil moving around inside the motor. I was under the assumption that by doing this I would be able to see motor oil on top of the heads. I ran my drill at full speed for over a minute and didn't see any oil at all. I stopped doing it because I was afraid that I didn't have the shift seated in the oil pump correctly and I didn't want to damage anything. I dropped the pan this morning and the shaft is sitting in the proper position in the pump. Am I doing something wrong and if not what could be the reason the oil is not being distributed? I have a brand new oil pump and screen and yes I did have oil in the motor.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Are you turning it the correct direction? The drill is going to need to be in reverse (CCW) to ensure proper pump operation.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Stoke

Thanks Starfury, that is the info that I needed as I was not turning it the proper direction. The next question would be since I was turning it in the wrong direction for a while do you think I damaged the oil pump? I still have the pan off so I can change the pump easily if needed.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Nah, you should be fine