Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help! Weird rattle on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Museum Piece

Default Help! Weird rattle on acceleration

I've got a weird problem with my '65 289. The car runs great, but when I accelerate in drive I hear a tinny rattle sound, but not when I accelerate in reverse or when I'm just cruising without accelerating. And I also hear it when I'm going in reverse and hit the brakes, but not when I'm going forward and it the brakes. Anybody have an ideas about this weird problem????? The car has had a recent tuneup, new fuel filter, and I even put premium gas in it--but the sound is still there.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:12 PM
Gun Jam

could be Drive shaft U joints or wheel bearings
Old 10-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Museum Piece

Default thanks

Thanks for the reply. If it were the drive shaft, u-joints, or wheel bearings, would it only make noise when I accelerate, and not when I'm cruising at a set speed? Would one of those things cause me to hear a noise when I'm backing up and hit the brakes?
Old 10-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Gun Jam

Thats hard to say. Tracking down spooky sounds is one of my least favorite things to do because it can be quite tricky.

Checking those items isn't terribly difficult Thats how I would start if I wasnt sure what the issue was. There should be good sources on youtube for checking U joints and wheel bearings. Normally this involves pushing and pulling while listing and feeling for play
Old 10-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Museum Piece

Thanks again. I'll check out UTube before I give up and take it to a mechanic---cause after that, I give up.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Museum Piece

Smile what caused the noise

I just wanted to let everyone who was nice enough to respond, what I found out about my car. I finally had to take it to someone, and the noise I couldn't figure out was a bad starter flywheel (even though the car started fine). That's why it made the noise only when I accelerated and when I backed up and hit the brakes. So I guess it could have been worse
Old 10-06-2017, 08:45 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Could also be the deflectors in the muffler (s) moving around and vibrating.