Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Conversion to Electronic Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 08:09 AM
68Stang390

Default Conversion to Electronic Ignition

Conversion to Electronic Ignition-887iiiii-copy-2.jpgNewbie here.
390 recently rebuilt with new intake valves, exhaust valves, valve job with hardened seats, surface heads, bore and bone, balance, engine kit (piston rings, bearing) original holly four barrel carburetor professionally rebuilt Quick Fuel Technology, distributor and PCV venting and hoses.

I want my mechanic to change it over to electronic ignition.

Any recommendations? Pertronix? MSD ?
I was told not to do the "kit"
Old 10-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

What "kit"? Every standard conversion is going to be a kit, essentially.

There are a couple options:

1) Swap the points in the distributor for an electronic ignition module. Many people have Pertronix units and are happy with them. I've heard good things about the MSD module, which costs a bit more but provides more functionality.

2) Swap to an MSD Ready-to-Run distributor. I have one and like it, particularly for the ease of adjusting the mechanical advance curves. This is an often-overlooked aspect of ignition tuning.

3) Install a CDI box, such as an MSD Digital 6. This box can use the factory points as a trigger, which pretty much eliminates points wear.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Gun Jam

Yeah it also depends A lot on your budget.

I run the MSD A6 Digital box which has proved to be more reliable that the now discontinued A6 non-digital box.

I also run the MSD E curve distributor which can function without a box like the A6. Minus an issue I had with a gear that MSD press on for me this has also proven to be a reliable dizzy that, despite being odd in concept is very precise and wont require maintenance and does not require springs or stops to set curves.

I also run the MSD 45kv blaster coil and 8mm wire.

all the above is easy to install and seems more reliable that the pertonix stuff some of my friends fight with from time to time.

I daily drive mine.