Notices
Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 Mustang GT K-Code Question

Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 AM
93celicaconv

Default 1965 Mustang GT K-Code Question

I'm a newbie to this forum, and I may not be posting this new thread in the correct location (please move it to where it should be if this is wrong - and I apologize in advance if this is necessary).I am considering a purchase of a 1965 Mustang GT K-Code Convertible, at least as it is advertised by the owner. The vehicle is quite some distance away, so I haven't seen it. The vehicle warranty number (as it appears on the driver door and the fender apron) is 5F08Kxxxxxx. I believe on these K-Code Mustangs, the last 6 digits of the warranty number are also found on the engine block and the transmission, so I'm not able to verify that (owner says engine & trans are numbers-matching).The Body Code is 76A (Convertible, Standard Interior) and Trim Code is 26 (Black Crinkle Vinyl, Standard Interior). The car has the Pony seats (I'm assuming the car wasn't built to have this option by the code numbers - can someone verify if I'm interpreting this correctly?). The door interior panels are not the luxury version (with pistol grip door handle). If an original factory built Mustang had the Pony seating, did that always include the luxury door panels with pistol grip door handle? Or were door panels a separate option choice?Also, the engine has the original (looking at least) chrome air cleaner cover with exposed circumference air filter element, but it does not have what I think it should have for valve covers (I think it should have come with chrome valve covers), but instead appears to have cast aluminum valve covers with "COBRA" lettering on it. Am I correct in understanding it should have chrome valve covers?This vehicle does have the factory 4-speed (correct for K-Code). It does not have a console (are there correct aftermarket consoles available - if so, what are recommended sources?). It does not have courtesy lamps in the door panels (I thought some of the luxury versions had them - can they be easily added with good reproduction aftermarket versions?).I'll probably have more questions after getting some feedback, but this should do it for now.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:32 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Default My K

Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
I'm a newbie to this forum, and I may not be posting this new thread in the correct location (please move it to where it should be if this is wrong - and I apologize in advance if this is necessary).I am considering a purchase of a 1965 Mustang GT K-Code Convertible, at least as it is advertised by the owner. The vehicle is quite some distance away, so I haven't seen it. The vehicle warranty number (as it appears on the driver door and the fender apron) is 5F08Kxxxxxx. I believe on these K-Code Mustangs, the last 6 digits of the warranty number are also found on the engine block and the transmission, so I'm not able to verify that (owner says engine & trans are numbers-matching).The Body Code is 76A (Convertible, Standard Interior) and Trim Code is 26 (Black Crinkle Vinyl, Standard Interior). The car has the Pony seats (I'm assuming the car wasn't built to have this option by the code numbers - can someone verify if I'm interpreting this correctly?). The door interior panels are not the luxury version (with pistol grip door handle). If an original factory built Mustang had the Pony seating, did that always include the luxury door panels with pistol grip door handle? Or were door panels a separate option choice?Also, the engine has the original (looking at least) chrome air cleaner cover with exposed circumference air filter element, but it does not have what I think it should have for valve covers (I think it should have come with chrome valve covers), but instead appears to have cast aluminum valve covers with "COBRA" lettering on it. Am I correct in understanding it should have chrome valve covers?This vehicle does have the factory 4-speed (correct for K-Code). It does not have a console (are there correct aftermarket consoles available - if so, what are recommended sources?). It does not have courtesy lamps in the door panels (I thought some of the luxury versions had them - can they be easily added with good reproduction aftermarket versions?).I'll probably have more questions after getting some feedback, but this should do it for now.
Ordered mine in Aug. '64, from Murphy Motors in Cicero, Illinois. High Performance Option was $440, took about 5 weeks to get it. Came with Top Loader 4-speed, auto was not available. 9-inch Ford axle, 3.89 ratio, no limited slip. 5 lug wheels with 5 on 4-1/2", with skinny Firestone "Red Line" tires. Had NO PCV valve, a road draft tube plugged into RH valve cover, ran down right side almost to front of transmission, you might want to check for that. No Power Steering or Brakes. Radio and Heater, no A/C. Here's an early pic before I started messing with it very much:

With all the times I pulled the trans. and rear center section out, I think I would recall seeing a VIN tag on the trans; I don't believe there was one. Eng. had chrome valve covers, chrome air filter housing with exposed element, decal "289 High Performance". The car ran wonderfully well, took us across the U.S. many times and back with never a burp. VIN was 5F07K284486.

One of the major changes I did was install a Borg-Warner heavy-duty overdrive behind the Top-Loader using an adaptor I machined up. Installed 4.57 gears, and bought the wide-ratio gears available for the trans from Ford. Ask if you would like to see the O/D trans set-up.