Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

HELP, Vibration I cant get around!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:14 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Default HELP, Vibration I cant get around!

hey there, this may be a long story but I am trying to get to the bottom of a vibration that's coming at about 4k RPM I cannot pinpoint.

Here is my current setup
331 stroker SCAT internals
4 speed
28oz flywheel

I replaced the clutch last spring and ever since then I have been having a vibration coming through the car at 4k rpm, in ANY gear. here is is caveat it ONLY happens under load when driving, i can sit in the driveway with clutch in or out and rev it to 6k and nothing, clutch engaged and in gear sitting in driveway... still nothing. while driving in EVERY gear it vibrates at 4k.

I called the shop and they recommended i bring it in and they pulled the trans and we took the flywheel back to the machine shop that balanced and built my motor. it was a few oz off and was re balanced. ok good so far. to be safe we also balanced the tires and had the driveshaft balanced ( which was 3oz off) my speculation at this point would be that it should be 100% better and the issue resolved. we also noticed the crankshaft end play was waaay off at 16 thousandths of total movement ( sue to the vibrations) so we pulled the oil pan and replaced this e as well which are now set at .7 thousandths which is pretty much perfect! ok good. while it was there i had a set of new leaf springs and shocks i decided to install while we were at it. everything should be set and good by now..

got the car back and still.. vibrates at 4k!!! it does however drive waaay smoother from the parts we installed but the vibration still comes in and i am not ready to replace the main bearings again. i am ready to sell this thing its making me so irritated.

the machine shop informed me if we had the original flywheel we could match it and it would be perfect, either way the new one that is balanced is set at 28oz where it should be. im beginning to speculate it may be something else at this point. I do have black widow exhaust installed and those mufflers are LOUD right when the vibration comes in. could this be a cause of this? a misfire? pinyon? trans and motor mounts ?? ( those were replaced but the original 1965 replacement rubber ones)

has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:40 PM
Gun Jam

Does it go away at 4,500 + or does it get worse after 4k?
Old 02-21-2019, 08:08 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

good question, will find out tomorrow when i can take it out. I have been scared to take it past that as it seems as if it gets worse. and afraid of damaging the motor and especially the bearings inside again!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:14 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Might have found the issue. Good gap between the yoke and trans with a decent amount of play in it
Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Gun Jam

Yes I chased a similar issue for a year after switching to a T5.

I solved the problem only by replacing the yoke and the tail shaft bushing at the same time.

The gap looks acceptable. Mine is at least that much. Play however is probably the issue.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

There is play, tried to upload a video but it didn’t work. Not a dramatic amount but defenitly moveable. So you think replacing the bearing and home at the same time might do it? Makes sense honestly
Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

It's a slip yoke, the gap gets larger as the suspension drops, so if that's on
a rack, the suspension is hanging, there will be a considerable gap. Thats
not a gap between the trans and the yoke, it's shaft and yoke.

You can ALWAYS YouTube the video and post the link....
Old 04-17-2019, 01:18 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

On a rack but a drive on lift. So all the weight was on the suspension when this pic was taken
Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Might have found the issue. Good gap between the yoke and trans with a decent amount of play in it
that has zero to do with it since it did not vibrate before you installed the new clutch parts.

if your exhaust is not rubber mounted, it will cause a vibration.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:43 PM
Gun Jam

While the gap probably isn't the issue up and down play is. Even new they have some very small amount of play but it should be hardly noticeable

You have to replace both the yoke and the bushing at the same time so they mate together properly. with NEW stuff not new junk yard stuff.

You may have to hone the bushing to get the tail shaft to fit I had to do this with my t5 you may not

Quick Reply: HELP, Vibration I cant get around!