Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

help building clone please

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 02:49 AM
focuzed1

Default help building clone please

i want to build a 1970 shelby clone to put my stang parts in how do i do it what style of stang body do i need and how do you do the back talilight assy? from what i heard the 70 shelby hood and fenders fit right on a 67-70 stang fastback is this true? i dont want an exact replica i jus want the body of it please help.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:08 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: help building clone please

First off [sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forum.
A 70 Shelby uses the same 70 Mustang body but the whole front end is different. You will need new fenders, hood, front valance, grill, lights & bumper. For the rear lights there is a new peace that you have to weld in place of the old part that the tail light are mounted into. For a Fastback Shelby get a Fastback Mustang, for a convertible Shelby get a convertible Mustang. A 69 mustang will also work as they are essentially the same body style.

Just check out some mustang part houses such as Mustangs Plus and you can get everything you need. Yes it will be expensive but still a lot cheaper that a real one.

Cheers.....[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 11-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Well, at least you aren't thinking of building an Eleanor.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:04 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Just to let you know that 69-and 70 shelbys are about the hardest shelbys to clone in that the whole front end is fiberglass, and only a few of those parts are being repoduced. If you can trake down the front fenders, hood, valance, taillight panel and decklid, you will have a good start. First and foremost please start with a v8 car, dont even waste you time buying a 6 banger and converting it over! youll be spending a lot of money on your project as it is, so save money anywhere you can. You than need to decide weather to make it a GT350 or a GT500. in retrospect to todays demands g with a 500. Scott drake and Tony Branda(very pricey however) specialize in shelby parts, as does National Parts Depot. give them a call and, bust out the pen and paper and a caluator your gone need one!!
Old 11-13-2005, 02:46 PM
focuzed1

now just curious if i already have a drive train even fining a 6 cyl car would be bad if so why?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:13 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

in many of our opinions, its just to to to expensive. you will need to change out the engine, tranny, rear end, front suspension, convert to 5 lug hubs , etc etc etc. all in all if you have a I6, ecpect to pay upwards of at least 10 grand just to get it to be a a V8. Then if you put that plus the expense of finding all the hard to find shelby parts, and doing a restore, expect the whole project(if its a high level of restore) of 35,000, cut 10,000 off of that if the chassis has a v8 already.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Ditto what Joe just said.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Fastback Guy
2nd Gear Member

Joe knows best. I agree with him.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:10 AM
focuzed1

well i found all of the front end parts and the rear tail light assy. and panel i already have the drive train i have a 72 mustang with 351m and fmx tranny with 3.50 lockers and rearend that is why i was asking is there any diff in the chassi for a v-6 to a v-8 i have a v-8 donor car i just need the chassi of a 69 or 70 fastback right? by the way th web site for all of the shelby parts i found is mustangunlimited.com it looks to me that he has all of the parts i need except for the mustang.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:37 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Since you already have the V8 drive train, you will need a shell with V8 suspension parts. The suspension parts are the main difference between the V8 and I6 now that you already have the drive train. So, look for a V8 chassis. The body makes no difference.

Quick Reply: help building clone please