Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

200CI TO 289

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:50 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 200CI TO 289

ORIGINAL: longlive289s

agreed, if your converting to a 8, shouldve just bout a 8, usually can find em not that hard. keep the 6 original. i know its a little late but....
I do not totally disagree with your line of thought, but, I do not see this as hard and fast a rule as you seem to. I believe that there is some room for exception.

I think that there were quite a few more I-6 Mustangs of this vintage produced, and I also think that as a general rule, I-6s are less likely to be thrashed than the V-8 models. That said, it is my opinion that there is a larger pool of cars to choose from, and the initial cost for I-6s is less, thereby affording a better chance of getting a solid car that has not met a 18 year old boy with 2 crescent wrenches and a cutting torch. I am not saying that good solid V-8 cars are not available for a descent price, (your buy certainly shows that good V-8s are available at a good price), but they are fewer and further between, and usually always more expensive than a comparable 6.

The art of hot rodding is passing to rice burners, late model mustangs,and pick-up trucks, one reason being is thatclassic muscle cars are out of site price wise for the youth of America. (trust me, most young folks do not want to drive a classic Mustang with an inline 6)

This leads me to the opinion that if the Mustang community does not want to face the same demise as street rodding (a dying hobby dominated by old richfolks) then the aftermarket and the hobby as whole, better find a way to get the youngerfolks involved. I believe that this must entail making the conversion of I-6 Mustangs a viable alternative.

My opinion is that all Mustangs are fair game for hod rodding, and it is up to the restoration folks to save as manny I-6 Mustangs as they can for posterity.

Best Wishes
JMD

Old 01-19-2007, 04:01 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yes they might be less abused but there are so many parts need to properly convert by the time u accout for them the savings of buying the 6 banger is long gone and replaced
Old 01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Yea, my line of thought is that a 302 is the way to go right now. Lots of aftermarket go fast stuff is available and the instalation should be relativly easy. Do you know of any issues involving the instalation of the 302 from ford motorspores in these vehicles. I am really wondering about the oil pan clearance more than any other factor.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:13 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

well you'll have to get a front sump pan, and a few other changeovers, like i think a different water pump. CHP has balanced and blueprinted shortblocks with any stroker combo you want already installed check out coasthigh.com when you get a chance, that's who I'm going with, they also make turnkeys. other places you may want to check out is mustangengines.com
Old 01-19-2007, 04:20 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yeah the olip pan/ and pick up need to be changed along with the timing cover,water pump and the correct flywheel balanced for the tranny u are going to use ex a pre 82 small block reguires a 28oz balanced flywheel while a newer than 82 requires a 50oz and all 351w reguire a 28oz regardless of year
Old 01-19-2007, 04:20 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

yes they might be less abused but there are so many parts need to properly convert by the time u accout for them the savings of buying the 6 banger is long gone and replaced
I am not so sure, if a person aproached this in a cost conscious manner, used a rack and pinion steering setup from the aftermarket, it really is not that expensive, when you consider that any car that you start with might need front end work anyway.

If I would have been a little more thrifty, and tried to start with a used rear axle instead of buying the new Currie unit, my cost would not have been less than half. I would have gone with the new brakes anyway.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

best advice i have is pick up a v8 shell to get all the v8 parts like mounts rear spindles etc
Old 01-19-2007, 04:29 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

thank GOD my WIFE keeps me from being thrifty, the other day I was talking about just redoing the power steering, and she was like I thought you wanted R&P. I said yeah but it's like was cheeper to just rebuild, and she said, "do you want cheap, or do you want R&P, either way I don't want to hear you complain about not getting R&P in a couple of months, you just better not settle for anything you really WANT!"

She's done this for a bunch of mods I want.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:31 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

haha nice thats definitely a keeper[8D]
Old 01-19-2007, 04:42 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

she even said yesterday, when I wanted to keep the car on the road that I'll just buy a turn key motor, that I should do the following.
Redo the top end, get a new carb and then buy the CHP short block and build that up while I drive the 67. and just remove the new carb when I'm ready to swap blocks. Damn I never knew how lucky I was until I got this wonderful car!

Quick Reply: 200CI TO 289