Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRONT END THUNKING NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:45 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default FRONT END THUNKING NOISE

Hi!
I'm the proud owner of an 07 premium pony package coupe.

Many of us coupe owners with the acception of the Shelby GT500's have this mysterious thunking or clunking noise coming from the front end of the car while driving over bumps.

I want to know if any of you are experiencing this problem.
You probably aren't though because the convertables come with an additional sub-frame cross member which is a bar or rod that connects between the sub-frame to body mounts right behind the rear lower control arm bushing mounts.

I test drove a GT and 4.0 convertable and neither one of them made that noise. It was heavenly! Trust me ;-). Some coupe owners are about to lose their minds over this issue. Ford is on it but as of yet, they have not released a TSB for the fix. It's expected sometime this March or mid-April.

Thanks for answering up on this question ahead of time!
Ireally appreciate it!

Wolfey2k
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 PM
JimC

Default RE: FRONT END THUNKING NOISE

Wolfey
I have the 2006 Pony convertible -- no front end thunking and I drive a lot (60 mile one way commute every day).
Old 02-25-2007, 11:54 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Thanks Jim!
Any other convertable owners having the front end thunking noise problem?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:53 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

06 GT vert without the noise. Some have also speculated that the additional weight of the verts & Shelbys may load the suspension more & keep it tighter. Some have said they don't hear it as bad with a passenger. Hope you guys get a good answer soon, musy be driving you nuts.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:06 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Thanks for your input.
Vert's do not make the thunking noise by the nature of their suspension and although I agree that extra weight may be part of this, essentially the coupes make the noise due to lack of a subframe cross member that is standard on vert's.
The cross member is the only difference between the two being that they share exactly the same suspension parts otherwise.
You can catch up on the latest by visiting here.
https://mustangforums.com/m_2297319/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
If you want to, you can jump to pages 8, 10 and so on where you'll read about the discovery of the cause of the noise and what's being done about it. We are expecting Ford to release a TSB sometime during the second quarter.