Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair or not? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Russ Maney

Default Repair or not? HELP!

I have a '95 convertible (6 cylinder, about 85K miles) that I only drive in good weather and basically garage for the winter months. Last fall it, it started to sound bad and, after theengine warmed up, the oil pressure would drop to zero when just idling. I smelled big repairs, so I just garaged it early. Well, with the arrival of spring, I brought it back out and took it to a trusted mechanic. Basically, in a nutshell, he's says the entireis about to throw a rod and either needs a complete rebuild or complete replacement. That, and some other needed transmission work brings the reapir bill to a whopping $4,700! [EXPLETIVE DELETED!] Best I can tell, they car is only worth about $5,000 to $6,000 in good running order.

So, what do I do?It's athird car and not necessary for either me or my wife to get to work, but I sure hate not to have it on warm summer days and nights. What do I do convertible Mustang nation? Is that too much money to spend on a car that isn't worth much more?

Looking forward to everyone's responses and thanks in advance!

P.S. If I didn't get it fixed, what would I do with it? Is there a market for terminally ill Mustangs?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Repair or not? HELP!

I don't think I would spend $4700 on the car, but I would be willing to try and find a drivetrain from a wreckedcar. Since it is a third car you should be able to turn this into a little project that wouldn't eat into your daily driving. I would just search around and find a stang that has been wrecked but the motor and tranny are still in good condition. Might be a good chance to bump up to a 5.0 while you are at it.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:03 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

What condition is the rest of the car in? If it's in pretty good shape other than the engine & tranny then it's probably worth you while to keep it & find a replacement engine/tranny, possibly a V8[8D] The way it currently sits it probably isn't worth more than a couple grand if you tried to sell it, and that would really suck to give it away so cheap.

Take advantage the fact the car isn't your primary driver, and make a project out of it. Do you know you way around a tool box?

Old 03-14-2007, 06:19 PM
StagHunter

I'll agree with the other posters. You have lots of options including a low mileage used engine, a rebuilt short or long engine, and rebuilding the one you have yourself. All of this presupossses that you have tools and know how to use them. The easiest route for you would be a rebuilt long engine, the same as the one you have now. Then it would just be a matter of removing your old engine, stripping it down to the heads and moving these components (suitably reconditioned) to the rebuilt one.

If you're not handy or don't have friends who are, you're kind of stuck. Either sell it as a mechanics special or pony up the dollars to have it done for you. Don't think of it in terms of what the car is worth, but what it will cost you replace it if that's your aim.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Russ Maney

Minor repairs I can handle, a full drive train replacement is WAY out of my league, nor is it something I would have time to learn how to do. The rest of the car is in excellent shape -- leather interior, original high end sound system, etc.

I guess it boils down to how much I want to spend to keep an unnecessary (but fun!) toy. My heart is telling me that I'm going to miss seeing it in the garage and miss the wind in my ever-more-scarce hair, but my balding head is starting to say that I should cut my losses and save the cash towards a new one (some day). I really like the look of the latest model.

I just don't get it. I'm the original owner and I religiously kept up with oil changes and other maintenance. Less than 90K and you need a new engine? I must admit, this really shakes the confidence of a (former?) Ford loyalist.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 PM
StagHunter

Well, that is a mystery. There's really no good reason your engine should be trash with only 80K and change on the clock. Ever have the dreaded head gasket failure? That's where I am now, but my engine, other than burping all it's coolant into the overflow tank, still runs great and internally looks pretty clean. I've done regular oil changes but haven't been so religious with maitenance otherwise. My car has 107,000 on the clock, and after I replace these head gaskets I expect it to get me at least to 150,000 without much further trouble.

For reference, a rebuilt crate motor (long engine - with heads) with a warrantee will run about $1600 after the core charge is returned. That's a lot easier to take than $4700. Removing and installing an engine isn't that hard with the right equipment. You'd need an engine hoist ($100-$150 or rent it) and an engine stand ($50-$100) and a friend with some experience. I don't do this stuff everyday myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it on. Would you, say, replace the water pump if it were leaking? If so, I think you have all or most of the skills you'd need.

I have removed engines out of my British cars myself. The engine and trans comes out in one piece (trust me, it's easier that way). You remove the induction system on your old engine and transfer it to the new one. Slot the new engine in and you're set for another 100,000 miles.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

You could probibly find someone who could help you do the work in a couple weekends if you searched, and it would be alot cheaper. Pay them like $40 and hour or something cash and people will be willing to help. That would be alot cheaper. And then you have a reason to buy new tools. IT really wouldn't be that hard though, and once agian since it isn't your DD then you don't have to do it all at once, or even in a month span.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:27 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

...one long shot option if you're thinking about swapping in another drivetrain... check around local highschools etc that have auto shops, sometimes they take in peoples cars & the students do the labor "for free" as part of them learning the process themselves.. worth looking into

Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Just get rid of it. Its not worth the headache.
For $4700 I'm sure you could fine a convertible Mustang
Who ever gave you that estimate was ripping you off big time.
Next time I suggest going with a V8.
The 5.0 or the 4.6 will last much longer than 90,000 miles
Old 03-16-2007, 01:50 AM
95 comvert
1st Gear Member

this is a tough one. I love my 95 vert (with 109k) and it would be tough to be in your situation. I'm no expert, but I know my way around a wrench and would prolly do it myself too. You could get an engine/tranny combo from most yards for $500-$1000 and in a few weekends have your baby fixed.

Just my 2 cents..

Quick Reply: Repair or not? HELP!