Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:16 PM
South NJ Stang

Default Convertible Top Leaking

Alright, well back in october I aquired a 2001 Cobra Convertible and its a great car I love it, only problem it has 94,000 miles on it and the previous owners definetly beat the hell out of this car. So far I have fixed most of the problems, but one major problem still remains. Whenever I wash the car, it rains, or snows, the bac of my car turns into a swimming pool. Behind the back seats in that little spot where the top goes into (I don't know the name of it) fills with water, and the trunk of the car on the passenger side becomes soaking wet. I know that the leak is on the passenger side behind the back seats. My question is, how hard is it to fix this? Someone told me there is a spray silocon that I could use to fix it. It doesn't seem to be a very large leak but its enough to flood my car. I would really appreciate the help because the garage I keep the car is getting renovated and the car will be outside for a few weeks and with my luck it will rain every day.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 PM
StagHunter

Default RE: Convertible Top Leaking

ORIGINAL: South NJ Stang

Whenever I wash the car, it rains, or snows, the bac of my car turns into a swimming pool. Behind the back seats in that little spot where the top goes into (I don't know the name of it)
It's called the stacking well.

fills with water, and the trunk of the car on the passenger side becomes soaking wet. I know that the leak is on the passenger side behind the back seats. My question is, how hard is it to fix this? Someone told me there is a spray silocon that I could use to fix it. It doesn't seem to be a very large leak but its enough to flood my car. I would really appreciate the help because the garage I keep the car is getting renovated and the car will be outside for a few weeks and with my luck it will rain every day.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I doubt the fix will be so easy as spraying something from a can onto it. When my 1994 convertible had a similar leak, it was due to the fabric that sealed the back window rotting out. If this is the case, the back window needs to be replaced, most likely along with the top. I put this off for a while by keeping a towel rolled up in the bottom of the well which I would squeeze out and dry after every rain, but eventually I had to bite the bullet and choke up the cash. Since you're in NJ I'll refer you to my favorite top shop; Asbury Auto Tops on Asbury Ave, Asbury Park. Very old shop, very good work, reasonable prices.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 PM
dupontjm

My 99 was doing that..No matter how I tried to get it stopped the well filled with water...The glass portion of top was shot..I got a new top and "backlite" ...and had a local guy install it and ZAP no more leaks..You can buy just the backlite with glass in it if the top is in otherwise good shape..
Old 03-20-2007, 11:20 PM
South NJ Stang

I heard from a few people that the top would need to be replaced. Ugg I don't have the cash for that. Right now I have a towel wrapped around that area and its been working so far. Thanks for your imput guys.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Have you checked to make sure the drain holes are not plugged with trash. If it is pooling up, sounds like it has not where to run. I can understand it getting wet and damp, but you should not see any pooling of water. Find the drain holes and clean them out, it may help until you get the back window, top, or both replaced.