Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shattered rear windshield (convertible)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:00 AM
corey90GT

Default shattered rear windshield (convertible)

well the good news is that i bought the car like that...(i guess) but the bad news is i have no idea what kinda places to take it to. I've heard upholstery shops that deal with autos and i figured out today that safelite doesn't deal with em. anyone know an estimated cost for this? also from what the owner said it shattered while putting the top down... any ideas? any help is appreciated. next step is fixing the passenger side rear window or at least getting it rolled up so i can park my car and not worry about it being there when i get back.[>:]
Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 AM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Default RE: shattered rear windshield (convertible)

Try the convertible forum
I've had one shatter before, it was cold out and the top was real stiff and shattered it. Most auto upholstery shops will fix it, not sure if the top has to come off or not though. It's sewn in across the bottom.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Dave93VertGt
2nd Gear Member

get a rear curtain w/window off of ebay. get it installed at either an upholstery place or autobody shop. should be about $120-150 for labor to install a complete top. so just the curtain would be less man-hours of work.
if u wait for 2 weeks i can show u my receipt from my shop which is charging me $120 to install the whole top and rear w/window.

when the top is up make sure there is no clothes or stuff in the space where the top folds down into, or it will break with the pressure.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:40 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

120 to install a new stop? You better hope it doenst fly off when your on teh highway.. Most places down here in New orleans charge around 300-600 bucks to replace a vert top.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:16 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Ouch. That's one thing I hope I don't go through. I shattered the one on my 2004 Expedition...$1,000 later it was fixed. The glass it self was over $900.00....[:@]
Old 06-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gary H

Try the convertible forum
I've had one shatter before, it was cold out and the top was real stiff and shattered it. Most auto upholstery shops will fix it, not sure if the top has to come off or not though. It's sewn in across the bottom.
How cold was it ? I live where it can hit below -40 degrees, I don't want to have any accidents with the convertible button Maybe I'll pull the fuse over winter.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

You're putting the top down at -40? [:-]It was cold enough to have frost on the glass here in AZ.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Dave93VertGt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: black89gt

120 to install a new stop? You better hope it doenst fly off when your on teh highway.. Most places down here in New orleans charge around 300-600 bucks to replace a vert top.
Does the 300-600 include the top & rear curtain/window price, or is that labor alone??? the 120 i said to install doesnt include the top, lol. i bought the top and rear from a website for 250. my total for top and install will be 370.

My autobody guy (south texas shop)showed me the book he uses for estimating labor costs. he said 3 man-hours for the top and 1 man-hour for the rear curtain w/plastic window. so he said a total of $120 to instal, no problem. I said thanks and ok.

Let me also add, that they are painting my ext. with a stage 2 ford red, the ext. black trim is gonna be redone in black, all emblems and antenna are gonna get shaved, installing a cobra grille front, my interior painted black, and including the TOP instal for a grand total of $800 even. dont worry about top flying off or paint being poor, i will post pics and i have seen his work. he is very experienced older man with good crew. maybe we have better prices in deep south, i guess.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:01 AM
droptopfoxgt

hey i shattered my rear window andput a new one inmyself it was really easy. the top unbolts from the body from inside the car and the fabric stays taught on a bar so you dont have to worry about messing it up and you remove the strip across the top with the 2 screws and unfold it and remove the staples and peel the top back and remove the staples holding the curtain in and staple the old bar to the new curtain on the bottom and staple the top of the curtain to the top frame. then youjust replace your strip with staples and the 2 screws and bolt the top to the body again. only took a couple hours. also with my curtain, it has snaps ans zippers and if the zippers match up you wouldnt have to staple on a new top part of the curtain. you can email me at fenderfatstrat69@yahoo.com or im me at chuckchuck245 for clearer instructions
Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 PM
chipmunk94

I know it's been along time since you posted this but if there is a way to email directions on putting in that curtain it sure would be greatly appreciated. Been looking every where. Got a 97 had a glass window replacing it with vinyl.

Chipmunk chipnsher@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: shattered rear windshield (convertible)