Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro Hard Top Convert Test Drive?? Traitors ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

Default Camaro Hard Top Convert Test Drive?? Traitors ??

OK fellow ragtoppers . .I am true tungsten grey blooded so dont start. My daughter is 4 and says, "Daddy, make the mustang growl" from her car seat. ***BUT***, will you test drive the Camaro? Consider buying one? My dad had a Nova Custom w/ 350, dual exhaust, and a '77 Impala (the new chevrolet) with posi traction (used to rev in neutral and drop into drive). Thing is, Chevy has had no 4 seater, convertible with ***** (the GTO was a total joke). So, I drive a stang. But its still a competitive marketplace. So honestly, if Camaro is 400 HP, and handles better than the stang (has anything but a "live rear axle") , they will blow away the average GT with CAI , Tune, UDPs, and Exhaust. Don't forget , I am hearing talk of a HARD TOP CONVERTIBLE (GM has experience with the G6). Will you consider trading in the pony? Be Honest . . . . .
Old 06-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Default RE: Camaro Hard Top Convert Test Drive?? Traitors ??

Honest? no. If it was available in '05 when I was trading in my '99 GT vert, I would have taken the Camaro for a test drive, but not now. Just a few months and my Mustang is paid. Plan on keeping it as a fair weather seasonal car.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Kikandross
1st Gear Member

NO I would not trade, but still would like to have a maro though, especialy since my early days learning how to drive was in a 71 ss.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

I keep an open opinion on all makes & models of cars.. If/when this retractable hardtop Camaro comes out I'll take a peek at it. Keep in mind by that time Ford will have newer Stangs out too, so YOU better keep an impartial eye too

But if the engine bay of the new Camaro is as ridiculously packaged as the previous generation then I'll have a bad feeling about the car right away
Old 06-22-2007, 03:49 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chef

OK fellow ragtoppers . .I am true tungsten grey blooded so dont start. My daughter is 4 and says, "Daddy, make the mustang growl" from her car seat. ***BUT***, will you test drive the Camaro? Consider buying one? My dad had a Nova Custom w/ 350, dual exhaust, and a '77 Impala (the new chevrolet) with posi traction (used to rev in neutral and drop into drive). Thing is, Chevy has had no 4 seater, convertible with ***** (the GTO was a total joke). So, I drive a stang. But its still a competitive marketplace. So honestly, if Camaro is 400 HP, and handles better than the stang (has anything but a "live rear axle") , they will blow away the average GT with CAI , Tune, UDPs, and Exhaust. Don't forget , I am hearing talk of a HARD TOP CONVERTIBLE (GM has experience with the G6). Will you consider trading in the pony? Be Honest . . . . .

Sounds like I am old enough to be your father as I have driven / owned all of those cars [8D]
Yikes!!!

I'm going to test drive it but my predication is that GM is going to screw it up on price.

Here is how:

1. Introduce a base model, with no options, a stripped interior and a totally lame engine like the F body Camaros they had with 2.5L 4 cylinder engines.
This will be the advertised model in all the papers.

2. To get into a "real Camaro" with a decent motor and interior/exterior options such as sport suspension, bigger tires etc is going to be a "nickel and dime" affair and in the end will add another $7000 or so to the price of the car putting the price too high.

3. Offer the ***** out model for a ridiculous price, Ford Mustang Shelby did this one as well so Ford isn't off the hook. These are enthusiast models so I guess that's pretty normal.

One of the reasons for the huge success of the Mustang is the pricing.
For $20k or so, you can actually buy a pretty well loaded V6 car that looks good and has very good performance.
The list of standard options is impressive and overall it's a great deal when you consider you can spend the same amount on some low end rice burner or a family minivan.
Sure it's not a rocket but over 90 percent of Ford's sales are V6 models (rental companies play into this big time) and when you drive around you are going to see a heck of a lot more V6s than GTs.

If GM holds true to form:
GM will screw this up and that is going to hurt sales.
They are going to offer an overpriced, stripped car that can't get out of it's own way.
When people, normal people, shop for a car there are certain psychological things that happen when they see price tags.
When the price goes over 25k people get nervous, when it goes over 30k people have serious second thoughts.

It's kind of along the lines of why $1.99 looks much better than $2.00 .

I like GM cars but as of late only the Vette and the Cobalt are interesting to me.
They totally hosed the Monte Carlo SS by going FWD.

GM doesn't have a vision and that is what is killing them.
A walk through a GM dealer is like walking through the rental lot at Hertz etc.
The colors suck and all the cars look alike.
Just my 2 cents
Old 06-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

when shooping for the stang i drove g6, turned around immediately pulled into the lot and walked away, the sales guy was like, where you goin? i didnt even want to chat with him, it was no power and a huge rattler, imagine it with a few 1000 miles, likely to fall apart
Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 AM
d3adbolt
2nd Gear Member

What steve said... I'm afraid of what the price tag is gonna be
Old 06-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Abom
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chef

when shooping for the stang i drove g6, turned around immediately pulled into the lot and walked away, the sales guy was like, where you goin? i didnt even want to chat with him, it was no power and a huge rattler, imagine it with a few 1000 miles, likely to fall apart
Hmmm, interesting. My father-in-law owns a G6 GT, I'm VERY impressed by that machine.