Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible owners beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM
wepinsf

Default RE: convertible owners beware

I wouldn't wait if I were you. I'd be on them daily. In any case, I'd be interested in any suggestions on how to "assault" the problem. I'm at the point of consulting an attorney and contacting my states attorney general. It's pretty clear that Ford's end game is to stall until they can start making the tops again.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That sucks. I think Ford is going to start having more problems like that. My wife's 06 Escape has a sunroof. It's been replaced twice now for a broken pivot assembly and of course the sunroof is available as a complete assembly only like your convertible top, no individual parts. First in 9/06 and then again just this week. Both times the dealer had a problem locating the part.

I'm seriously considering another 'brand' for my next new car. It's one thing for long term reliability to be an issue it's another if there aren't parts to fix it when its broke.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:32 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

i can find the tsb for ya but i need someones 05 or newer vin# to run an oasis on the concern for you to find the tab.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Abom
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wepinsf

the real issue tho is that three months later my car is still sitting at the dealership because ford can't find a replacement as they no longer have a contract with anyone to make the top.
I did some research (myself owning an 05 vert), and indeed, there is a TSB on the top and it's possible defective mechanism []That said, knock on wood, I have yet to have a problem with mine, and it only gets used half the year anyways, and I'm always slow and careful with the top, so hopefully I don't have any issues, athough I do have a good dealership.

That said, I think they're full of s*** that they no longer have a contract with a manufacturer for the top. I highly doubt that, and suggest that you try another dealership.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

I've done some more research on this convertible TSB, and it's actually not as common as I originally thought (and feared). However, anything I've seen on it, shows it as being a warranty repair.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 PM
wepinsf

thanks to everyone for the replies, it's helpful. if you have time, what exactly is the problem if you've been able to find out from the tsb? the latest is that ford is now manufacturing the part again and the dealership may have one this week. will believe it when I see it.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 PM
05RedHead
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update on the top. The part's in, and I droped it off today at an Auto Trim place in down. It turns out that the fabric top needs to be peeled back, and I guess only Auto Trim type places have the tools to stretch the fabric back over the frame. Anyway, so far so good - I should get it back tomorrow afternoon, or Monday WCS. I'll update after that with any more info I have - once I have the paperwork I'll prolly post it so anyone else can use it to get your problem fixed under warranty.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
05RedHead
2nd Gear Member

YES! I got the car back at lunch! I dropped it off yesterday, and this morning I get a call from the guys at the Auto Trim place - it was done!

Anyway, It works now. It maybe doesn't seat back down on its own perfectly when putting the top back up - I have to pull slightly on the center grab handle to get it to sit tightly before latching - but I've heard others say this.

I am getting the paperwork faxed to me from the Ford dealership since I picked the car directly from the Trim place...So I'll have those this afternoon to address any questions anyone may have about the procedure.

Long story short - the parts are being shipped now to let everyone know.

Does anyone have any close up pics of their top when it's lowered? Mine's flush heightwise with the back lip, and the top of the rear headrests...it's been so long since it's worked I can't remember what's normal...
Old 07-31-2007, 12:00 PM
rkmert

Here's my pathetic update. It's been almost a month since I first took my '05 Vert to the dealer. After repeated hounding, yesterday I finally got some sort of an answer. I've been told over and over that my parts were on back order. I wanted a more concrete answer as to when I could expect them. The manager told me that there are 3 other Verts at my dealership waiting for parts and over 130 Nationwide. WOW! He thinks that Ford is waiting for a new manufacturer to come up with the parts since Ford has had so many problems with the tops. He is supposedly calling the "new manufacturer" today to get me a rough idea on delivery. I'm not too upset at the moment as it is 95 degrees and 98% humidity here in Northern Virginia. It just the fact that it is taking so long. I'll keep you updated.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:23 PM
05RedHead
2nd Gear Member

Amazingly enough, your dealer is right. There is a national rolling backorder. These parts are being made by the new manuf, and are being dropped shipped as they're made. From what I heard, there's more like 400 orders for it, rather than 150. IDK, but there were a few at my dealership too. I got mine though, so they are in fact shipping the new parts.

Quick Reply: convertible owners beware