Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible top weaknesses

Old 09-11-2007, 05:14 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: convertible top weaknesses

ORIGINAL: TBSTANG

Thanks for the replies. It's gettin' to be top-down weather and I just picked up my 'stang a few months back. Really looking forward to the open-air motorin'.
its great, you will never want a coupe again. i have looked at quite a few nicer and faster cars, but they were coupes and i wasnt willing to give up my convertible for them.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:56 PM
DraKhen99
1st Gear Member

Hey, is there a certain temperature, below which, it's bad to lower and raise the top? I had an 87 Mustang convertible back several years ago, and once it hit about 50-55 degrees, I was dropping the top (with the heat on, and sometimes the windows up). With my 04 GT Vert, since I got it I've done the same thing - is that bad for it?

Thanks,

-John
Old 09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
EVO32
1st Gear Member

No I dont think that it is bad to lower the top when its colder out. But it could be a pain to get to re-latch because it might shrink.
As for driving with the top down you can go as fast as you want. It weighs so much and the piston is slightly holding the top in place and their is really not to many places for the wind to "grab" the top and pull it up. I have done 80 in my car and my dads 96 GTO with the top down and nothing has happened.
And in the summer i would probably raise and lower the top at least once a day.

The top on my car is about 14 years old and it will need to get replaced soon. [:@]
Any of you know the differences between vinyl and canvas tops?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 AM
DraKhen99
1st Gear Member

As far as speed is concerned... I did between 110 and 115 in my GT Vert, with the top down, no problems

As far as colder temperatures go... what's the coldest you can put it down? I'm mainly worried about cracks developing in the canvas - what causes that?

-John
Old 09-21-2007, 07:56 AM
05RedHead
2nd Gear Member

The cracks really occur when you lower it when it's too cold/moisture on the top. A friend of mine had a Sebring, and last winter (about 20 degrees) he pulled into the garage after parking outside at work all day, and decided to lower the top in the garage. It cracked right down a seam.

And for the repeated use - I have mine up and down at least twice a day, weather permitting.

The only thing that sometimes pinches id the inside headliner on the corners of the seat back.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:46 AM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

yeah, you will be fine driving fast with the top down. i have been about 110 with the top down. the only thing is, after about 95, the wind starts to make aloud whistle as it flows over the windshield. but that is nothing to worry about. haha
Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

wow speed demons hehe so far only 80 here top down and no problems.I did drive to work with the top up and windows down bout 65 I started getting a unusual air sound almost like a repeating low frequency hum so i rolled up the back windows and brought the sides to bout half way up and it ended.

BTW, TY for the info about the wear of the top, my wife drives the stang as her DD and she always has the top down once a day if not twice. My worry is we are gonna wear it out too quickly. When we were looking at other mustangs before we found this one, I saw a used 07 with 20k miles and the top looked really bad, the dealership said it was a "certified preowned" HA!! around the seam it had serious wear and was pulling away. Any ideas of what could have caused that, so I dont do the same?