Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top replacement tips and advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Eastcoast

Default Top replacement tips and advice

My 84 GT needs a new rag top. Anyone have any tips and/or advice on this project?
Alladvice will be appriciated.

Thanks
Ed

84 GT vert
65 Coupe
Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 AM
tuflehundon
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Top replacement tips and advice

Find a local upolstry shop, and order the part through them. A good shop will tell you how to put it on, they will tell you every detail in hopes that you will think its to hard and have them put it on. I am having a shop replace to back section of mine. Parts are $200 and labor is $150. Not bad to make sure it's done right. But you are more mechanicly inclined than I am go for it. I am having them do the work mainly because they will warrentee their work for 5 years.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:20 PM
ccamustang01

I have a 95gt. My hubby and I are replacing my old rag top. Things are going ok. We are having a problem getting the Sails to line up. when we think we have it, the other side messes up. I have very good instructions for most of the removal and install. The details for the rear curtain and sail area are slim.

any body got any ideas?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Eastcoast

Try these instructions they seem to be clear and complete. I will be starting mine later this week.

http://media.latemodelrestoration.co...ons/ET-CT1.pdf

Good luck

Ed
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Seatlyte

I have a '98 and the top is starting to go. I got a quote from a shop in Seattle that has been around for decades but it was more than I had hoped:

"Hi a top and window out of cloth brand new would run $1950 installed I
will try to beat anyones price let me who and how much, needs to
reputable shop."

I am nervous about doing it myself although I have worked in art, construction and music all my life. I want it to be perfect.

Any thoughts are welcome and good ones appreciated greatly!

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Seatlyte

I have a '98 and the top is starting to go. I got a quote from a shop in Seattle that has been around for decades but it was more than I had hoped:

"Hi a top and window out of cloth brand new would run $1950 installed I
will try to beat anyones price let me who and how much, needs to
reputable shop."

I am nervous about doing it myself although I have worked in art, construction and music all my life. I want it to be perfect.

Any thoughts are welcome and good ones appreciated greatly!

Thanks!
That quote is way too high!
At least double what it should cost.

You might want to ask the dealer who they use because most times that work is farmed out.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

Actually I'm not sure that price is so "wild".

I called some apholstry shops around here about replacing my top and the quotes I got ranged from 1200-1700 depending on if I wanted a vinyl top or a cloth top.

If you go out and look for the tops online you can find what look to be good quality tops for $600-$700 (this is for cloth, vinyl is cheaper) this includes the padding, windows etc. that you need. The problem is that most tops require apholstry tools to install properly. I don't say this from experience... this is what the online stores that sell the tops say.

maybe if I had experience with it I'd try it... but to be honest, I'd rather pay a good shop that extra $600-$700 and have a top that fits perfectly, doesn't leak and will stay looking good for years to come. The top is just too important and too easy to mess up for me to want to take a chance at it.

One shop that I talked to that was really helpful and was even recommending some other shops that were closer to me (so I think they weren't trying to jerk me around) warned me that not all tops are created equal. They said that the material is all pretty much the same, although some of the "really cheap" ones will have bad construction. What they said you have to be careful of is that there are only a couple of tops out there that actually fit properly. The others fit "ok" but are a pain in the *** to install and get to look good and will tend to leak right away or otherwise leak/have problems much earlier than a good fitting top.

Anyway, that's what I found in my research. I'm all for saving money when I can, but on something like a convertible top I just won't take the chance. I don't like getting wet when it rains and I'd rather pay twice the price and have a top that will last for 20+ years than have to re-do it 5-10 years down the road or have it look like crap.