Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How safe do you feel with your convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 PM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

Default How safe do you feel with your convertible?

This is my 1st convertible and I used to drive around with a camaro with subs and an amplifier and the amplifier was highly visible in the back window of my car. I drive around in rich and poor areas since I'm in and out of the city. My car has never gotten broken into but now that I have a convertible, I'd assume it's easier to break into or cut into even though I haven't put my sound system in. I'm thinking of putting an external GPS system in my car and I have my iPod broadcasting music on my radio. Do you guys hide your GPS/valuables after you shut off your car? I wasn't sure if convertibles are more likely to be broken into since it would seem easier?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 PM
GEAUX05GT

Default RE: How safe do you feel with your convertible?

My Mustang convertible is a toyso I don't have lots of stuff in the passenger compartment. It also lives in the garage so I am not concerned with break-ins.

Years ago I owned a Miata. The policy with my mechanic and other friends with Miatas was to keep everything of value in the trunk. I even kept the proof of insurance card and vehicle registration in the trunk.

I guess it depends on the neighborhoods and city in which you will be driving.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Phatfordfan

In my opinion it is easier to break a window than cut a top to get into a car. IF someone wants the toys inside your car they are going to get them. I'd say the only safe bet is to put the stuff in the trunk or at least out of sight, no matter what type of car you drive. Vandals however will pick on a convertible for the ease of cutting the vinyl top. That is what I worry about when forced to park in less reputable parts of town.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 AM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

yeah, i have never had any problems with anything in my car and i leave the top down all the time. i dont like to keep much in my passenger compartment though. pretty much everything that can be easily removed is put in the trunk.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:17 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

so when i bought the car back 6 years ago i felt pretty safe. i lived in a nice neighborhood where neighbors walk all the time. i had like 1000 dollars worth of audio components in the trunk. so i put an alarm in it. one night i heard my alarm going off so i checked the window and flashed the flood lights. it was starting to rain and the wind was blowing, so i figured a tree branch had caused my alarm to go off. i was about to dis arm it and i thought i ought to atleast check the car. so i walked around the car and got to the drivers side door and it open a little. didn't think anything of it because i lived on a hill and every now and then i would shut the door it wouldn't close. (bad hinges) any i sat inside and felt the cd face (first kenwood cd player that flipped around) and it was still there so i thought this was a hoax. then my hand hit something on the floorboard resting on the seat. it was my antenna.now i figured it out. so i looked at the steering collumn adn it was broken. the M*********er used my own antenna to unlock the doors from the inside. then i franticlly went searching for this punk. i was on a mission, but didn't find him. Took it back to the alarm place adn b*tched them out adn the fixed the problem. the alarm should have gone off when he opened the door not when he broke the collumn. i was so close to never seeing my baby again. now it sleeps in a garage.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Depends on the thiefs, some just want valuablesfrom inside the car others want the whole thing. Rule of thumb for any car Keep your valuables out of sight when your not with it.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

You can go YEARS with out a single problem... mine is parked outside on my driveway with the top down right now & I don't worry about it.

But one day some $hit-for-brains punk is gonna screw around with your car because he's either after drug money (steal your money or steal something he can sell for money) or just because your car is "nicer than his" & he can't handle that

& It won't matter if your car is a vert or coupe

Old 04-24-2008, 06:56 PM
dvlshc
1st Gear Member

I either keep my GPS locked in the glovebox or leave it in the house when I do not need it. GPS theft is such a growing trend, so easy to steal and then re-sell. I do worry about the CD's and bluetooth I keep in the armrest compartment, I really wish that thing locked. I keep my baby in the garage at night and I generally keep the top down when it is in the driveway since I live in a nice area, but it worries me some punk is going to do something to it one day, be it at home or if I have the top down while I run into the store real quick. But if someone really wants into the car, I guess there isn't too much you can do to stop them unfortunately.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Don't leave anything in the car except locked in the trunk.
I had some bum break my window on my Caprice once and steal my pillow.
No kidding, the scum left the tapes and other stuff but stole my pillow.
Clean your windshield so the suction cup marks from GPS, Radar detectors, Satellite radio etc don't show.
Get one of those flashing LED's that turn on when you turn the car off and mount it in plain view.
It makes them think.
I park all the time with the top down, windows up.
Biggest problem is bird poop [8D]

Seriously, your biggest problem is punks who will toss a soda can or cup into your car.
If they want to steal it they will and it is just as easy to break a window.

If you feel unsafe, get a proximity detector installed INSIDE the car that will chirp the horn if someone sticks their hands into the car when you park it.
Have it hooked to one of those pager type alarms that will let you know as well.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Leave nothing in plain eye sight...you know the old saying: "out of sight, out of mind". I take the vert to Walmart and park it far, but never at night.

Quick Reply: How safe do you feel with your convertible?