Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang convertable leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Newgrampy,

As a convertible top technician, I see this from time to time. The "holes" as you describe them are not exactly holes as much as folded over vinyl which is either sewn (sewed with a sewing machine) or heat welded.

The back windows that are sewn sometimes leak where the needle holes punch through the vinyl before the water is able to find its way to the rain "gutter".

On scenarios like this, the top needs to be raised 1/2 way, the top has to be pulled out of the way and a vinyl adhesive needs to be swiped around in this water trap with your finger.

Can you believe it?

Scan
Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
newgrampy

scan1959,
They were telling me that at the Ford garage, but the place they had me take mine to showed me the holes. They were something smaller in diameter than a pencil and, in my case, the top had shrunk and streached the holes so the water ran where it wasn't s'posed to. They had seen this before on original tops. Problem returned a couple of weeks ago...after 2 years. This time it was body panel leaks. they had to reseal in 3 different places. was coming in on the floor back seat passenger side.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 AM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Thanks for letting me know about this configuration. I sure don't pretend to know everything about convertibles!

For those who were subscribed to this thread earlier on, the best way to tell if your 'vert is cloth or vinyl is this - if the convertible top reflects light, or seems to have an exterior film, its Vinyl. If it absorbs light, or doesn't seem to have an exterior film, it's cloth.

Scan
Old 12-27-2009, 03:38 PM
tat2dmeatman
Tat2d Member

FINALLY figured out where mine is leaking. Looks like they used heat weld and right where it stops a hole has developed. Alot of areas are starting to show wear as well, so I figure it's time for that Cabelas kit.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 AM
memito

Hi everyone I'm the new I just wondering if someone know how to fix a leak I have I discover there's a leak on the back of my convertible and its getting kind of wet inside and also my trunk is wet like a lot condensation inside someone have an idea can help me thanks
Old 11-25-2010, 02:00 PM
nbstang

Just got my 2000 this summer, great fun.
Got same problem, water behind driver seat and in trunk.
where are the drains located?
From what I read does replacing the top usually stop leaks?
Is it difficult to replace top?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:40 PM
6T9_CHARGER_RT

Found the lower corners on the rear window where it is sealed to the top, leak from fatigue

Found this out after I washed the car (since it doesnt see rain)

Going to try the Part A kit since its on the inside of the top which feels like more of a cloth material than the outside vinyl.

Another option would be to replace the rear window section only which is available separately....
Old 08-07-2011, 04:51 PM
PenGwen27

Originally Posted by Giansconvert
My 2000 convertible had the same leak, which i at first thought was the rear window seal. After having a coworker run a hose over the back with me in the back seat i found that the leak was coming from the top, underneath the window on each side. It looked like it was worn from the top going up and down so many times. Theres an automotive sealer out that dries very flexible (i think its made by goop) but i found it at a true value hardware store. I sealed the holes and have not had a leak in months. I hope this helps
I have heard about the sealer your speaking of. I'm going to give it a try and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:26 PM
orb4me

Default 2000 top leaking

Where is the section that the man showed pictures of the leaks in the back ? I tryed sealing it, but after a mess, I discovered it still leaks. Someone mentioned using a straw to take the water to the drain. Sounds like my kind of a fix, but I cant find him.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:26 PM
humansieve
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by orb4me
Where is the section that the man showed pictures of the leaks in the back ? I tryed sealing it, but after a mess, I discovered it still leaks. Someone mentioned using a straw to take the water to the drain. Sounds like my kind of a fix, but I cant find him.
Just behind the side rear window if you watch while its raining, water flows in and down to the quarter panel and out a drain hole under the car in front of the wheel well and that is normal. Sometimes the water wont run down inside of the quarter panel but rather along a flap of the vinyl top. If you pit a straw or something similar along the long metal clip you'll find it will follow that down into the drain, just make sure those are open. I hope I discribed everything ok, one you get in there and look around it should make sense. If you can't locate the drains, on a dry day take a squirt bottle and aim it in that inside area I mentioned and look under the car just behind the door and watch the water run out. Keep those cleaned out or you can get floor leaks along with your top leaks. I'm still chasing one leak myself, I feel your pain.