Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert owners poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 PM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

I never want to go without a convertible ever again in my life.

Mine does leak, luckily though it's just a latch that I can get from work for $80 or probably find at a junkyard for like $15(haven't had a chance to look yet is the only reason it hasn't been fixed yet). But just to give the point of view of the bad side of convertibles, even if it was a bigger problem than the latch and I couldn't fix the leak without spending a ton on a new top and all I would still WAY rather have the leaky convertible than a coupe. Not even close.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

Oh and for when it's hot you can always put the top up and turn on the AC if you want... Not for me though, I'd rather have the top down even if it is really hot, I love having the top down. Only time I might put the top up when I could have it down is if I'm in stand still traffic and it's crazy hot. And the only time I'll probably have to deal with that is going up to Redskins training camp and preseason games... I still don't think I'll want to put it up though.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

VERT!!!! It's the best of both worlds, you can always put the top up if you need, but it's VERY VERY nice to have the top down on a nice night for a cruise. It's the only way to go!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Convertible guy with leather here.... i vote vert and leather... a sports car does not look good with cloth seats...

i park in a garage most of the time and 100 percent of the time at home, so she is always nice and cool. even in the sun, just dont park your car with the top down.

quick history lesson... i was a the Henry Ford Museum last year and took a picture with the first mustang ever produced with the serial number of "1". It was a convertible.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 PM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
Convertible guy with leather here.... i vote vert and leather... a sports car does not look good with cloth seats...

i park in a garage most of the time and 100 percent of the time at home, so she is always nice and cool. even in the sun, just dont park your car with the top down.

quick history lesson... i was a the Henry Ford Museum last year and took a picture with the first mustang ever produced with the serial number of "1". It was a convertible.
Yea the first Mustang ever was a white convertible. Every true Mustang fanatic knows that
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Have one of each. Don't ever want to go w/out a vert ever again in my life.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM
j-mac

Just bought one for my son, an '86 Fox to restore....Verts rule!!!

j-mac
Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

This is definitely going to biased because it's in the convertible forum. Here are some things to keep in mind with a convertible.
  1. The roof will leak over time.
  2. They are heavy and never will be as fast as a coupe.
  3. Black leather seats will get super hot when parked with the top down.
  4. The back seat is smaller. Keep that in mind with kids and/or anyone else that will ride back there. Could be impossible for rear facing car seats.

Now the good part.
  1. If you get hit by an 18 wheeler you will probably survive. Can't say that about a motorcycle.
  2. Driving around with the top down AND A/C on is a good combination if you live somewhere hot.
  3. Great car for cruising. Turn on some tunes and drive.
  4. The Mustang is one of the few convertibles a man can drive and not be considered gay.
  5. Fun, fun, fun, til your daddy take's your T-Bird away.

My 93 LX Ltd has white leather seats and that is a nice thing to have. It also only has a driver's side airbag so I can put the baby seat in the front seat with me.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 PM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

I would go with the coupe and not have tha hassles of owning a vert but that is JMO
Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Mpov
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shaft

The roof will leak over time.

The Mustang is one of the few convertibles a man can drive and not be considered gay.[/LIST]
My 93 LX Ltd has white leather seats and that is a nice thing to have. It also only has a driver's side airbag so I can put the baby seat in the front seat with me.

I think the newer tops will be less prone to leak over time. At least I hope so

I generally don't buy into the convertible = feminine thing. There are plenty of verts out there that guys should be able to drive without being considered gay.

The newer 'Stangs have a sensor in the front passenger seat so the airbag will be disabled if there is some weight on it, but that weight is less than some pre-determined amount (not sure what). This is to allow smaller kids to ride in the seat without having the air bag go off.

Quick Reply: Vert owners poll