Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertable top

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:23 AM
mustangmike69

Default convertable top

I have a 2005 Mustang Conv. The back glass has come unglued from the top, the window is still attached to the inner linning of the top! Can anyone tell me if the back glass has to be replaced, or if the entire top has to be replaced! And can someone give me a ballpark figure of what that should run me both parts and labor! I have had one upholstry shop tell me that the back glass had to be replaced, and onr glass shop tell me the entire top had to be replaced! kinda backwards, I know! Someone please send me in the right direction! Thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Mike,

I am a professional convertible top installer:

Here's the straight scoop. On the older Mustang's(94 to '04) the back glass could be replaced withhout replacing the convertible top.

The newer 'Stangs have a convertible top that doesn't have a separate back window which can be changed out without changing out the whole top.

What I'm trying to tell you is that the whole convertible top needs to be replaced. Here in Central Florida, that job including a high quality convertible top and labor to install is in the range of from $1500 to $1800. That is fvor a top of the line Robbins top and labor included. Make sure that your quote is "Robbins" and make sure that the quote has the original Heater/Defroster back window.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:28 PM
mustangmike69

Originally Posted by scan1959
Mike,

I am a professional convertible top installer:

Here's the straight scoop. On the older Mustang's(94 to '04) the back glass could be replaced withhout replacing the convertible top.

The newer 'Stangs have a convertible top that doesn't have a separate back window which can be changed out without changing out the whole top.

What I'm trying to tell you is that the whole convertible top needs to be replaced. Here in Central Florida, that job including a high quality convertible top and labor to install is in the range of from $1500 to $1800. That is fvor a top of the line Robbins top and labor included. Make sure that your quote is "Robbins" and make sure that the quote has the original Heater/Defroster back window.

Good luck.
Thanks man! Just wanted to verify that the top did infact need to be changed! It's 5 years old so I won't be replacing a "good" top! I also thank you for verifying the cost as well! My insurance wont cover the top because it wasn't "sudden and accidenta",the extended warrenty doesn't cover converable tops, go figure, so it'll come out of pocket 100%. Thanks again for the info!