Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 AM
GScott

Default Rear suspension Question

Hello, I have a 1993 Gt Convertible 5.0. and I have looked in the Haynes manual and it tells you that the bolt to the top of the shock is under the carpeting and is accessed by opening the trunk or hatch. But the location for the top nut on the rear shock isn't mentioned for the convertible .I searched the forum but haven't found anything helpful. I am wondering if it can be accessed from underneath instead.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GScott
Hello, I have a 1993 Gt Convertible 5.0. and I have looked in the Haynes manual and it tells you that the bolt to the top of the shock is under the carpeting and is accessed by opening the trunk or hatch. But the location for the top nut on the rear shock isn't mentioned for the convertible .I searched the forum but haven't found anything helpful. I am wondering if it can be accessed from underneath instead.
Its there. Take the carpet out and the panels out and you'll see it.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If you can't get to it from the trunk, try (with the top up of course) getting it from behind the back seat. I know we have different generations of Mustangs, but chassis-wise they're closely related and that's how I can access my upper shock mounts.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:44 PM
GScott

Originally Posted by petrock
Its there. Take the carpet out and the panels out and you'll see it.
So, they are further back behind the plastic pieces that hold the carpet down?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
GScott

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
If you can't get to it from the trunk, try (with the top up of course) getting it from behind the back seat. I know we have different generations of Mustangs, but chassis-wise they're closely related and that's how I can access my upper shock mounts.
Thanks, I will take a look at that too, it looks tight up under where the roof is stored. I couldn't see the top of the shock from the trunk at all. Pics would be nice if you know where I can find one on the forum.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 AM
MustangSD
1st Gear Member

I am in a similar position - needing to replace rear shocks in my 90 5.0 LX. I purchased the chilton manual for aid on the project....ended up doing my own OJT and found the top shock mounts most accessible under the vinyl top well behind the rear seat (with the top up the vinyl well comes out pretty easy - a snap/channel moulding and a sheet metal screw or two. Now I seem to need a short open box end wrench and something to hold the shaft from turning - (a socket and extension turn both the nut and shaft). Hope this helps you take the next step. Any tool recommendations would be welcome.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangSD
Now I seem to need a short open box end wrench and something to hold the shaft from turning - (a socket and extension turn both the nut and shaft). Hope this helps you take the next step. Any tool recommendations would be welcome.
The top of the shaft should have some flat sides that you can put a wrench on. Measure it with a caliper/micrometer and buy the wrench to fit (best), or a good adjustable wrench that won't un-adjust as your working (OK, but risky). Good luck...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 AM
toplessLx
1st Gear Member

Its actually really simple. Take the carpet off the sides. Find the wheel well and go to the top of it. You will find the bolt. Hold the stud with a pair of vice grips and loosen the nut with a wrench