Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Convertible Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Rich63

Question 2000 Convertible Compatibility

I need to replace my 2000 GT Convertible top. I have found a garage kept 2000 Coupe Convertible top. I would like some advise.

Does anyone know if these two Convertible tops are interchangeable using all existing hardware and motor?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Rich, are you thinking about taking off the convertible top skin from the coupe and installing it on the GT?

Yes, it will fit. They are interchangeable.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Rich63

Thank you scan1959! The frame fit perfectly. The motor and hydraulics worked fine for 3 days. NOW, the motor will not even make a sound. Does anyone have any thoughts why the motor would work one minute and not the next?

I have checked all fuses and they are good. I did a continuity test on the switch and it is good. I have bled the system manually (twice), and finally got the motor to put the top up but... and you probably knew that was coming... the motor stopped again. I am not sure why but while the top was fully extented, I kept hitting the button (cuz I needed every inch out of the stretch) which may have put the motor in a bad position. Is that possible? So, I did what worked before, I manually bled the system but still no motor activity. Is there any pressure sensors? It doesn't look like there are. Only relays to activate the forward/reverse action.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Rich63

Today, I applied a 12V power supply to the top's motor. I grounded the black test lead and contacted the red test lead to the red wire (RAISE - see attachment - Convertible Top Wiring Diagram) and notta... nothing... I was expecting to engage the motor but no. The motor was working two days ago but I am not sure if it was pressure sensitive and the insides got positioned badly not allowing it to move or engage.

If anyone has crossed this path or understands the convertible hydraulic system, please, throw me a rope, I am drowning here.
My next move is to replace the motor tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Convertible Compatibility-convertible-top-wiring-diagram.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ConvertibleTopDiagTest.pdf (70.8 KB, 45 views)
ConvertibleTopHydr01.pdf (101.5 KB, 31 views)
fuses.pdf (633.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the brushes inside the motor are not making proper contact with the armature. I had to buy brushes for my 1990 LX convertible, and sanded them down to fit. That was about 12 years ago, and it still works. At that time Ford did not sell brushes as they sell it as a complete assembly motor and pump assembly.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Rich63

7 UP Mustang....Thank you for the motor brush information. It sounds like the issue. I have a spare motor which I will install to see if it works. If it does, I can disassemble the original motor and check the brushes, if necessary, replace them and keep the motor as the spare.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Rich63

Thanks you all everyone's replies with assistance. Finished... replaced the motor but I tracked it to the emergency brake latch. The connections were making the motor seem intermittent. In reality, my original motor may have been working fine. After cleaning the contacts to the latch, it worked fine.

Now the new carpets have been trimmed and the interior has been replaced with newer, cleaner panels and seats. Since, the original was a mess, this restore worked really well. Newer/excellent convertible frame, hydraulics, vinyl top, liner, speaker covers, door panels, new carpet, front and back seats, rear brake light, glove box along with chrome rims.

I am looking for new headlights, fog lights, and visors. The body work and paint is last as it is staying white and black.

Calling it a day !!!!