Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 convertible quarter window alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM
aceryas

Default 93 convertible quarter window alignment problem

OK, so I've just went thru my rear quarter windows by replacing: billet guide rod mounts from LMR, motor gear bushings, guide bushings, gave everything a good cleaning and greasing, & while I was at it, replaced the vertical quarter window weatherstrips as well.

Now I've got a unique problem that I've not seen elsewhere in all my searching: I have an alignment issue as the window is travelling up & down. I've adjusted it so that it seals well with the front window and the top. But as the window travels up, it looks like it's riding between the front door striker bolt where it protrudes through the door sill and the supporting structure of this feature. The internal stamped nut for the door striker has a couple of "wings" on it and the window tends to ride between the bolt and the outer wing. As it does this, the wing tends to act like a knife and has SLICED OFF THE LOWER QUARTER OF MY NEW WEATHERSTRIPS! So long $35 for another set of weatherstrips! I would say the window needs to move rearward 1/2 to 3/4" during its travel to clear this area but not sure of the adjustment to make this happen. Another option is to move the lower guide rod inward so the window clears this area, but then I do not get a good seal with the top and front window.

I've also noticed the window does quite a bit of rotating back & forth as it raises. It rotates around the guide rod. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. This is the first convertible we've had and have only had it long enough to fix the above items before my son can drive it. With the single guide rod, the only thing that keeps the window from flopping around the guide rod is the attachment pin for the raising/lowering mechanism & it has quite a bit of play where it attaches to the window.

Another note is that all of the window movements have been without the inner & outer weatherstrips in place. Is this my problem? These pieces do have felts on them as well but I don't know how much these items guide the window as it's moving up & down vs. once it gets to the final position. I do have the felts installed that bolt to the door sill itself & have adjusted them as best I can.

I do plan on buying the 1983-93 Convertible Diagnosis and Service Procedures. In the meantime, could someone who already has this manual scan the relevant pages for the quarter window adjustment so I can atleast get this fixed before tackling the rest of this car's problems!

Sorry to be so long winded, but thought it best to get as much info in the original question upfront to avoid the need for clarifying questions later. Any help, guidance, advice would be very appreciated!
thanks.

I did post to another forum on another site, but then found this vert only so thought I would ask here as well.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 AM
aceryas

Sigh....
moderators please delete this duplicate thread.