Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing motor and lines on 91 conv. with parts from LateModelResto-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Replacing motor and lines on 91 conv. with parts from LateModelResto-HELP

I have been dilly-dallying for a couple years now. The top motor was acting up for a while, so I bought the whole Late Model Resto pkg- motor, new lines, and Royal Purple ATF.Last summer even getting caught with my pants down, er, with my top stuck down in a thunderstorm did not get the motor off my garage shelf and in the car.( I did find that driving at 55 the rain over the top of one's head, but the rest rolls up the windshield and comes like a waterfall over the windshield rail into one's lap...) I've just been lazy- I've done this on a 69 Camaro and I don't remember it being tough. I was 18 yo though.

So today was as good as any. Seats out, and I see the hydraulic lines are not so easy to replace. I debated leaving the old ones in, but I've already bought new ones so "why not". I was glad I had new ones, since when I took off the driver's side rear panel, I found the lines sticky with dirt and fluid, and a gunky residue on the panel below. I will say I am concerned about another member's experience with the hydraulic lines being too short. I don't want issues, since I don't have the time or patience to do this repeatedly.

No big deal- except the access to the top hose fittings looks near impossible. I started to take off some of the bracing over it, until I realized the bracing was also riveted to the floorpan.

So, any advice on getting to these fittings on the hydraulic cylinders? Is access better with the top up(reaching down through the well where the frame folds up)?If so, I could install the new motor, put up the top, take the old lines out, and refill the system. I only have one quart of Royal Purple synthetic ATF, but I can't imagine it needing much.

Can a voice of experience help me?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Are you concerned about the fittings that screw into the motor or the hydraulic cylinders?

If it is the motor(pump), then pull the motor out of the bracket. It is kept in place by rubberized motor mounts. Just pry them up, they will pop out of the metal bracket so that you can more easily work on the fittings.

If the concern is for the cylinder fittings, these are more easily accessed after removing the rear side panels.

1 quart of fluid is plenty.

scan
Old 06-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

I have access to the motor- no big deal there. It is the fittings on the hydraulic cylinders on either side of car, behind the rear passenger side panels that are the concern. The lower fittings seem reasonably easy- it's the top ones that look like they'd be tough(near impossible) to access with a tubing wrench or open end. The structural sheet metal is in the way, so that I can barely get my fingers in to feel them let alone a wrench. I have some time off this weekend, so I'm going to try to lift the top manually. I'll see if I can more easily access from above. Never having done this on a Fox I just thought somebody else might have figured an easier way.