Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Waxes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:58 AM
britt21
3rd Gear Member

Default Waxes

Whats the difference in Carnauba and Synthetic wax and which is better?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:40 AM
shayne
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Waxes

Synthetic (man made chem.) waxes generally last longer (6-8 mo.). Carnuba wax (made from natural carnuba) lasts about 6-8 weeks.
Some people say there is a great difference in the way they shine. I like a layering of both. A synthetic sealant followed 24-48 hrs. later with a pro carnuba (on my Stang). My DD's get a synthetic sealant. Check out autogeek.net and autopia.org
These sites have articles on all the differences and much more. Good luck. Later.
S W

[IMG]local://upfiles/27334/A4C6B845EB394106A761A62E946ACA2F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-29-2006, 01:23 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i use a full carnuba wax on my car, its works nice, but carnuba wax is harder to take off.

i also use a synthetic polish first.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

The differences between synthetics and carnaubas is as different as the individual formulas. In fact, you'd probably get a lot of people who would say carnaubas last longer.

There are some poplular synthetics out there that look great initially though only last a short time -- but some people like they way they look so they keep using it. Yet there are newer products that look similar, but last longer.

Probably the single reason synthetics are popular is their ease of use -- much more friendly to the average consumer who may tend to let a carnauba dry too long and thus make it harder to remove. And they're much more friendly to varying environments during application.

A product I haven't used much but have heard good things about is the Reflecctions Top Coat by Mothers... it's a synthetic-carnauba blend, designed to go over their synthetic Reflections Car Wax (or over just about any other car wax). The blend is supposed to offer a balance of ease-of-use and longevity and wet look. If you're interested, ask some of the guys at www.waxforum.com who use it and prefer it over the carnauba on some applications.

There are a lot of choices and what's "best" is personal preference and what "lasts longest" is a tough thing to generalize based on how people garage, drive and wash their vehicles.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:13 PM
britt21
3rd Gear Member

can someone tell me how many coats of wax you put on your car... one or two?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:05 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: britt21

can someone tell me how many coats of wax you put on your car... one or two?
Normally I only need to do 1. At least once a year ill use meguiars #6 cleaner wax first. Then I take that off and use meguiars nxt generation tech wax for the second coat. Also rain x the windows every month.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:38 PM
britt21
3rd Gear Member

more or less what i wanna know is..

if i wax it w meguiars nxt generation tech wax...and buff it off..the next day, can i go over the wax thats already on with another coat of the same wax..

would it hurt it?
thats all i need 2 know.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:51 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, going over it with the same wax would be fine. You wont hurt anything. Just make sure you get any dust off the car before you apply more wax.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:02 PM
britt21
3rd Gear Member

Okay, Thanks.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Wicked94Z

you can layer the nxt tech wax, however with a pure carnauba you'll just remove the old layer when you apply the new one.

Quick Reply: Waxes