Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

engine cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 08:15 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

Default engine cleaning

till this day i have had a body shop "clean" the engine bay on my car

but this time i would like to do it myself, and was wondering if any1 had a write up and web site
showing how to do it for my car?

like what to cover, what to NOT do, ect.

thanx
Old 07-09-2006, 02:19 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

Default RE: engine cleaning

so no one on this site has ever cleaned an engine bay???

no1 can help me.....and for your info i tried searchin about 4329853490597 times

but as usual it didnt work
Old 07-09-2006, 05:24 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

I've never used the stuff, but Autozone has some enginge detailer foam stuff. I might go get it and try it out, dont' know about covering stuff though. My buddy told me to try brake cleaner, but I havent.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:39 PM
reefblue93

I usually cover the alternator with a plastic bag before any cleaning. i use Castrol purple degreaser from wal-mart and then some protectant after its dried.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:58 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

the alt. is the only thing you cover?

do you power wash it?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:06 PM
reefblue93

only garden hose. mine not that dirty ever.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sandcracker21

the alt. is the only thing you cover?

do you power wash it?
power washed mine last time. first time to ever clean a engine bay.

Some will say not to leave the car running. Some will say to leave it running so you can hear when your spraying when to back off spraying some where. If it does start to die back off on spraying, and try to stay away from that spot you was spraying. If it dies just finish up cleaning the engine, and you got your wire dry, use it to clean the connections. I left mine running, and had no problem

got up on a saturday, drove to the closest car wash. washed then dried it. Started the car. then sprayed it with the engine degreeser, and then rinsed it off.
I took it easy spraying the best I could, tried not getting the alternator too much or the belts. Didnt cover anything. Took a can of wire dry. Works good on getting water off electrical connections. then drove it home

Old 07-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Ouch, power wash is way too harsh for an engine bay. You may dislodge or even break some plastic connectors, tiny wires/sensors, etc. Best, easiest and safest way to clean your engine is with full strength (or automotive strength) Simple Green. Unlike harsh chemical engine degreasers (which by the way are just for THAT, ie old, badly sludged up engines), Simple Green will not harm any engine bay alloys, plastics, wiring, etc., desolve your asphalt driveway or kill any grass or close by flower gardens....it is completely biodegradeable. Polished engine parts even dry to a shine as though you buffed them out.

Simply apply it to a slightly warm (NOT hot) engine at full strength and wait about a minute for it to start to work. Take your ordinary garden hose on light "jet" or "shower" or even use your thumb to regulate the pressure and hose off the entire engine bay. You can clean the firewall, radiator shroud, shock towers, etc. all at the same time. Just be sure to thoroughly coat those areas with Simple Green as well as all engine parts. Leave your hood up until the bay is once again dry. I never cover any engine parts and have never encountered even the slightest problem(s) with starting or hesitation. Just wait for the compartment to FULLY dry before starting. Besides, that whole business of covering sensitive engine parts when cleaning is more for the harsh engine degreasers, not Simple Green and water. With today's super high energy ignition systems, wireless plug harnesses and basically sealed electronic systems, this is definitely not an issue.

Try it, you'll love how easy it is to work with. I must clean my engine bay 3 to 4 times a year with absolutely no ill effects. Now, if you DO have a badly sludged up, greasy engine.......shame on you! NEVER let it go so long as to let it get out of hand. Good luck!