Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Bug removal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 09:15 PM
lilozzy

Default RE: Bug removal.

i got a tub of rubbing compund and a buffer and took it to the bumper lst night and it slowly was takin the marks out but it will be an all day job to get it all out. it looks like it has gotten all of the way down to the clear coat... any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2006, 03:46 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

dunno if recommended or not- but I was told WD40 was great for removing the adhesive residue on wheels- one had tar on it, son of a gun if wd40 didnt wipe it right off with just a few seconds of light rubbing...I went ahead and used it on my paint to remove tar and bugs, then wiped it off with fantastik to remove oil, then just washed/waxed it...claybar works, but takes a while longer- especially with the tar.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:36 PM
YouGiveMeRash!!!
2nd Gear Member

Carb cleaner works for me. I've been using it for years on removing tar and stuff on my rims, and bugs, etc.. on my cars. It hasnt affected the paint on any of the cars I've used it on for years. I've been using it for like 4 years now.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:42 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

WD-40
Old 07-26-2006, 11:06 PM
561boii
2nd Gear Member

clean rag, a little soap and water and some elbow grease should do the trick
Old 07-30-2006, 03:59 AM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

you guys might call me stupid, butt after you just wash you car, put pam on the bumper, you have to spread it aroud or you will be able to see it, just coat it and spread with a rag. i tried it and it worked good.

This is after you remove the bugs...for the future ones...
Old 07-30-2006, 12:22 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I know a lady that used to have a detail business, and she swears by WD-40. I use it with no ill effects, but I always use it when I wash the car so I can wash it off. Dont forget to wax after you use it.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:33 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: lilozzy

i have used bug and tar remover and a bug sponge and that didnt work.
Can you bench press your own weight [8D] Sounds like you need to apply a LOT more elbow grease with that Bug/Tar remover. I would guess your car does not have a good coat of wax on it, plus you let the bugs sit for too long which = major pain in the a$$ for removal. Use the bug & tar removal with a good "bug sponge" and rub until your shoulder wants to fall off. Once you get it all removed, apply a good coat of polish, then a good coat of wax. After that, wash your car regularly and they should come right off.

Also, depending on how long the bug acids have been there its possible they have eaten into your paint, and you might be left with some pits (look like rock chips).

As an example, my car is always clean/detailed. With the wax that I have on it (Mequires), MOST of the bugs come right off the bumber with the duster! The rest come off with one light pass of a micro fiber with a detail spray (within a few hours of night driving of course )

Clean OFTEN, and avoid the clean FOREVER routine
Old 08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
gperry

The safe and sure way to remove BUGS IMO,,,, ASAP using a clean cloth, apply clear cold water, make sure the area is cool! Let the water soften the bug juice, wipe of after sitting for 3 - 4 minutes. This may take several attemps but it will clean off the bugs.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:47 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

go with the clay.

Quick Reply: Bug removal.