Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Bug removal.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:49 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Bug removal.

ORIGINAL: gperry

The safe and sure way to remove BUGS IMO,,,, ASAP using a clean cloth, apply clear cold water, make sure the area is cool! Let the water soften the bug juice, wipe of after sitting for 3 - 4 minutes. This may take several attemps but it will clean off the bugs.
I would agree with you if the car was new or kept freshly waxed, but IMO this routine would be next to impossible on a bumper that is not waxed or has had bugs on it for an extended amount of time.

When I got the Navigator from my boss, it had MONTHS of bug goo on the bumper and it hadn't been waxed in over a year. It took me nearly 30 minutes with the Bug Remover and a Bug Sponge - and a TON of elbow grease. I was left with SEVERAL pits from the acids, but now with a good coat of polish and wax - they come right off in the automatic carwash.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 PM
JFettsRoush
1st Gear Member

^^^^^^Excatly! If you take out your pride and kill bugs with it, at least get the left over blood and guts off that same night or early the next am. As he said if you've let it go this long your prob screwed and are in for a new paintjob or re-finish.

I personally can't show up anywhere (feeling good) with the front end all covered in bugs!

Just take the time to clean it really good once, polish, wax and then they won't be as bad to get of next time.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: YouGiveMeRash!!!

Carb cleaner works for me. I've been using it for years on removing tar and stuff on my rims, and bugs, etc.. on my cars. It hasnt affected the paint on any of the cars I've used it on for years. I've been using it for like 4 years now.

+1 on the carb cleaner. Get the crap off in one or two wipes. Just be sure to spray it on a soft towel, not directly on the paint. ANd spray the towel away from teh car so you don't get the overspray/mist on your paint.

One you wipe it, follow with a very wet towel, dry, and wax it. Done.

DO NOT USE THE CARB SPRAY ON HOT PAINT OR HOT RIMS....it will cause discoloration.