Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

liquid clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Default liquid clay bar

i was in auto zone the other day and i saw that the turtle wax ice makes a liqiud clay bar has any one tried this and if so how does it work
Old 02-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: liquid clay bar

I tried it... mostly because I like to try about everything new... even though I am a bit skeptical about a product that says I do not have to wash the vehicle first (only rinse off the loose dirt).

It is very watery and soaks into the foam applicator, so I really am not sure if that is good. But I tried it on my car and felt it made little progress in the surface contaminant removal. In an adjacent section I used traditional clay and it removed the contaminants with a little less effort.

I was thinking that by the time I get the whole car done, it will be more work and the bottle will be about empty, whereas if I spend the same amount on a real clay bar I have another use or two out of that bar. ... so... I returned it for a refund.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

My buddy bought some of that stuff. We tried it out and it doesn't work like a claybar at all. It is more like a cleaner polish. Nothing will take out contaminants like a regular claybar.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:30 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juztang

My buddy bought some of that stuff. We tried it out and it doesn't work like a claybar at all. It is more like a cleaner polish. Nothing will take out contaminants like a regular claybar.
thats what i figured it was like just seeing if it was better than i thought it would be but its not
Old 02-24-2007, 05:31 AM
ttOmadA

im not really sure, but what is claybar and what is it used for. Im big into detailing but this is new to me. sorry if it sounds dumb but just curious b/c i have water marks or something on my trunk lid and spoiler that i can't get off, even with buffing, and im too scared to try wet sanding. and suggestions
Old 02-24-2007, 08:40 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

go with the clay bar and not the liquid....poor boy (juztang) knows what he is talking about!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Glad I read this. I saw that stuff at the Zone, & was gonna get some. Now I`ll just save a few bucks
Old 02-24-2007, 09:26 AM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttOmadA

im not really sure, but what is claybar and what is it used for. Im big into detailing but this is new to me. sorry if it sounds dumb but just curious b/c i have water marks or something on my trunk lid and spoiler that i can't get off, even with buffing, and im too scared to try wet sanding. and suggestions
A clay bar is used is used to take bonded contaminants off of a cars finish. If you rub your hand across your cars surface (when it's clean of course) you can feel little bumps here and there, that's all the stuff that the clay will take off and leave it glass smooth. Just use plenty of lube, either a quick detailer or a mix of soap and water. Also plan on putting a coat of wax on after. Check out this site for more details: http://www.web-cars.com/detail/clay.php. I started using one a few years ago and swear by it now. I do all my cars twice a year now.

As far as the water spots go, I don't think it will totall remove them. I've tried that with my black Durango and it made them lighter, but I was finally able to remove them using Meguiar's Scratch X and a sore finger. I really had to work at them to get them out.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:12 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

liquid clay bar...something wrong with that name...
Old 02-25-2007, 12:26 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

i talked to a guy at auto zone last night and he said that it will do the same as the regular but i was not gonna buy that excuse he was just trying to make a sale

Quick Reply: liquid clay bar