Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Mothers Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:58 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mothers Kit

There nothing wrong with my paint...I thought it was supposed to give my car a nice brilliant mirror shine. Jim D. is probably right maybe I used Mother's under false pretense thinking it was going to give my car this beautiful shine when in fact it did nothing of the kind,. What are you supposed to use it for? I wanted to use it to protect my paint, because I have no garage to park my car in. It just didn't feel like I did anything to my car when I was done using it. Then when I used the wax that came with the kit it really didn't give my car the shine Turtle wax gives. I don't know maybe it's because I've never used liquid wax before. I've always used paste wax that gives my car a nice shine and makes it slippery to the touch...so whenyou throw a towel down the hood it'll justsail with easeright off the other end.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend the employees and people who useMother's products here. I'm sure it'll still sell after my comments. I am allowed to critisize products if I don't like it. I've waxed 100's of cars and a few boats. It is the first time I've ever used a clay bar. The instructions told me to spray the detailer spray in a 2 square foot area then use the bar in backward and foward strokes over the sprayed area overlapping each stroke, then use a terry cloth towel to wipe off. Something I did wrong? Do I have to wait before I wipe it off? Am I not supposed to use a clay bar to protect my paint? Tellme what I did wrong and maybe I'll try it again. I am open for suggestions

Thanks and have a good weekend.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

Clay can be confusing to use if you've never used it before... sometimes people don't even realize they have surface contaminants. If your car is washed clean and it doesn't feel glass-smooth, you've probably got a need to clay.

Try watching this video and see if there's something you missed... sometimes you do need to rub a little aggressively on stubborn contaminants (in spots). You should be feeling a glass-like smoothness on areas you've clayed -- again, assuming you've got surface contaminants and the clay removes them.

If you happen to have stubborn overspray that has bonded to the paint, sometimes an "aggressive" clay might be required. Meguiar's makes one in their Mirror Glaze (pro) line that I've used and it works pretty good on stubborn spots, but they don't recommend it for regular use.

The cleaner wax included in the kit really does a nice job as 1-step waxes go. Not everybody likes the same waxes, and that's one reason why there's a gazillion on the market.

Mothers probably sells as much if not more clay kits than anyone else... and they do have a satisfaction guarantee so if you're really not liking it, either give it to a friend to try or return it to the store or contact Mothers for a refund.

I really like the Mothers clay kit and I've turned friends on to it and they like it too... so when I read you were dissatisfied, I'm thinking maybe you're just not getting this rather misunderstood product.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

Alright man...obviously you didn't read my last post. That's exactly how I used it. Readthe last paragraph. Notice how I didn't edit it. Is that you in the video? I am not trying to be funny, but you and him sound the same [&:]
Old 05-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04MustangGT

Alright man...obviously you didn't read my last post. That's exactly how I used it. Readthe last paragraph. Notice how I didn't edit it. Is that you in the video? I am not trying to be funny, but you and him sound the same [&:]

You keep saying there's nothing wrong with your paint, but then you say it doesn't shine. Improper use of these products could result in the lack of shine.

So since it's not you, it must be the paint has some challenges for you.

Did the clayed finish feel smoother than before you clayed?

What were you using on your paint prior to trying clay and how did your finish turn out then?

We're just trying to help you get your car looking good for a reasonable price -- which is possible with the right products and the right technique.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:29 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

clay will not make your car shine, it will allow for a wax acheive its fully potential to create a shine.

Clay bars only remove above surface contaminates so when you run your hand over the surface it is completely smooth. if you didn't like the shine the kit gave you it was because of the wax. try a different wax. there's nothing wrong with the clay bar.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:10 PM
05pnygt
4th Gear Member

mothers =
turtle wax[8D]
Old 05-06-2007, 04:04 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

I bought the Mothers kit also. This was my first time using it, & I was not too happy with it either. Perhaps the clay bar is too small??. It seems like I would have to be there for a week just to get the tiny bar over the entire car. I just chucked it & whipped out my PC & polished/waxed it. Looks ok now. Some thing work for some folks & not for others. For example, a lot of people swear by Zaino products. I did not find them any better/worse than a lot of other products out there.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:57 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jim D.

ORIGINAL: 04MustangGT

You keep saying there's nothing wrong with your paint, but then you say it doesn't shine. Improper use of these products could result in the lack of shine.

So since it's not you, it must be the paint has some challenges for you.

Did the clayed finish feel smoother than before you clayed?

What were you using on your paint prior to trying clay and how did your finish turn out then?

We're just trying to help you get your car looking good for a reasonable price -- which is possible with the right products and the right technique.

You obviously do work for the company now stop spamming
Old 05-06-2007, 06:08 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

Today I will try the Turtle Wax Ice. First I will use as directed and then use the paste wax. I can guarantee you it will shine. And if it does or doesn't give it the mirror shine I will post it here as well and I will also expect to hear from the employees too. [&:]
I have used regular Turtle wax and it's shined before. Then I figured I'd try this Mother's Kit, to see if it would stand out more; I used it as directed, didn't get a shine and didn't get a good polish when I used the wax. TRIED IT TWICE! For my car it was NO GOOD. Now move on people: try as you might want to help me there are others out there who need your assistance with the product. Leave me be. It didn't work, now move on with your lives ...jk

Take care
Old 05-06-2007, 05:13 PM
2004YellowStang
2nd Gear Member

Clearly you have no idea what the product was supposed to do, and as a result how can you have a pretense for how it should work? Clay bar removes contaminates and that's it. It by itself will not add gloss or depth. Wax by itself will provide some shine but the prep-work is the huge key! After I've started using products like they sell at obsessivedetail.com or autogeek.net I'll NEVER go back. BTW turtle wax is junk, especially the ICE products. It's like putting tire shine on your paint. Try getting a porter cable buffer and a polish of your choice and then a high quality wax or sealant and you'll get the best shine you'll ever get out of your car. Not trying to rain on your parade but I do detailing proffesionally and I've been doing it for several years now and you should listen to what some of these people are saying.

Quick Reply: Mothers Kit