Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Orbital Buffer Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Orbital Buffer Question

Thanks so much for the replies, folks.
I've been wanting the PC for a long time, not only for it's effectiveness as a buffer but I also have various home DIY sanding jobs where it would come in very handy.
I think that's the angle I'm going to try to use on the wife - "But honey, I can finally finish patching that hole in the wall from 5 years ago".
Just wish I could've figured outa 'dual-purpose' excuse for the CAI/tuner combo that's taken me nearly a year to get the green light on.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 PM
stovetop25

The PC 7424 is a good machine, however if you really wanna learn to polish then I would suggest picking up a rotary instead and practicing on some scrap panels.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

Any carnauba-based wax can tend to have a little bit of dusting, especially if you use too much.

If you only want to save your arms -- and don't have defect removal -- you're fine with just about any buffer.

General rules of thumb:

Turn the buffer upside down and slowly spin pad and lightly squirt product in a circular pattern from the outside-in, about 1/2" apart, working your way inwards.

Flip the buffer back onto the surface and "pat" it a few times throughout your working area (about 2' x 2'). Lightly rest it and start the buffer. Apply the product with the buffer in back-and-forth motions, overlapping by 1/3.

Let haze until a light wipe with your finger cleanly removes the wax -- then buff off with a microfiber towel. If you let it dry any longer, you're asking for more work than necessary.

If you really want to make your life easier, head over to Wal-Mart and pick up some FX SynWax -- easier to apply, easier to buff, and there's no dusting.