Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Orbital Buffer Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:28 AM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Default Orbital Buffer Question

So I tried out my new buffer yesterday (never used one before).
But the wax dust it kicked up was more than excessive.
So much so, that I had to hand buff after using the orbital almost as much as if I just did the whole thing by hand (and my arms feel just as sore this morning).
And OI VEY!! getting the dust out of the door handles was beyond tedious.
Was I using too much wax? Allowing it to dry to long?
I tried changing that up as I progressed but it didn't seem to make much difference.
Or am I just a typical noob who simply needs to learn by doing?
I'm using Mother's Carnauba.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Cooter
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Orbital Buffer Question

Is it one of the 10in kind?? I used one of those a long long time ago. IIRC the bonnet with get caked with wax really quickly and I'd have to change bonnets frequently. Seemed easier doing it by hand. It would probably work good for applying wax. If we're talking about the same thing.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 05-20-2007, 08:28 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

I picked up one of the 6" at Home Depot the other day.
Would love the Porter Cable 7424, but that ~$200 digs a wee bit too deep into my mod budget.
But I think you may have hit on something - the tufted bonnet that came with it.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
ZAXJAX
3rd Gear Member

You just wasted your money! The Porter Cable is worth the money. Terry cloth bonnets suck!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

The problem is most likely due to the product you're using. I've been using stuff from Juztang (Obsessive Detail) and I didn't have a problem with dusting. Also, you might be using a little too much product. JMO from using Mother's and Meguiar's products in the past.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:45 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

sounds like you're using too much product... you can find the pc 7424 way cheaper than 200.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Marselivs

True comment by cooter, they get caked very easily with the wax, even when using the sheepskin bonnets. I just use the orbital when I do polish, for application only and remove by hand with a very soft cotton cloth.

For waxing, same thing.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Cooter
3rd Gear Member

I dont know how much use you will get out of it but not much. A PC is in a totally differnet league. True you may spend upwards to $200 with the PC but you'll get everything you need to take your car cleaning to a whole new level. You get the pads, backing plate and your choice of Poorboys or Optimum products. There's alot you can do with a PC. You can use it for Compounds, Polishes, Glazes, Sealants and Waxes. It doesnt take a long time to get the hang of it, and you dont have to worry about burning your paint. Check out obsessivedetail.com. Justin has everything you need.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 05-21-2007, 06:34 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

i wanted to do this or get into it for polishing.. but dont want to "burn my paint" or ruin it.. i heard its easy to do that..

how do i avoid that, or in other words, why dont you ahve to worry about that that with the PC
Old 05-21-2007, 07:01 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Definitely, using a professional tool like the PC 7424 will take your detailing to another level. You don't have to worry about damaging your paint with the PC because it's still an orbital polisher. The standard, K-mart $29.99 orbital buffer won't have the power for paint correction because those tend to be a few hundred to low 1k orbits/minute where the PC goes up to 6k orbits/min. Also it has a more powerful motor to work with.

What you're thinking with regards to burning paint is a rotory style buffer, which in the wrong hands, can burn your paint pretty good. A PC is pretty much fool proof unless you drop it on your car.

Quick Reply: Orbital Buffer Question