Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Hazing Headlights - Product that helps

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

Default Hazing Headlights - Product that helps

Well the wife has been after me to buy her some new headlights for her 2000 Montero Sport. So I looked on EBay and from what I see its going to cost me over $400 for new headlights. Now not that her car isnt important, its more important to me to save some money and get my ride rolling again since its been down since Christmas.

Anyway, I remember walking into Wal Mart a week or two back and seeing a sign on restoring headlights. I gave them a call and they told me about the process they did (sanding, etc) and that it cost $40 or so to have them do it.

The lady then told me that they also sold the kits for $19.99 and that it was pretty easy to do.

I did a little looking online and checked out all the before and afters and the praise that came along with the pics.

Well I have to say this is a great way to save some money and not buy new headlights. Now that is if they arent too fugged up! If they are, youre going to have to sand your arm off to make them look better. That was the case with the headlights I had on the stang so I just bought some new ones.

The instructions tell you how long to sand and to sand more if your headlights are really hazy and yellow. Mine werent REALLY bad but I doubled the time to make sure I got them really good.

When you do the final application that makes the headlight clear again, make sure you make a pass and then try not to go over it again, just make another pass just below the first and barely overlap the first pass and so on. If you touch it or wipe it while as it starts to dry you will mess up the finish. The final chemical that you put on reminds of Brite floor polish.

Before: (I got excited and forgot to take the pic before I started, so I wiped it off and took a pic after a few passes. You can still see how hazy and dull it was.

After: Here is the first headlight I did after its complete. (All together probably 15 minutes, the final application is put on twice and I wanted to make sure the first application of it was completely dry.)

And here is a pic of the package that it comes in. It was on the aisle where the headlights are.

best headlight cleaner website
$23.99 on their site
$19.99 @ Wal Mart and I didnt have to wait for it in the mail!

Youtube video showing how to use it
The guy in the video shows using the CV#1 packet while sanding and then on the mircroweave, I just used water and then used all the CV#1 on the microweave after the sanding step. I wiped it until it started to dry and haze and then flipped the microweave over and wiped off the dried residue.

All in all I know its not a permanent fix but Id rather shell out the $20 for the wifes car and the other $380 towards mine.

GL

EDIT: The button to set the date on my camera is broken so thats the reason for the 04 date. [8D]
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Default RE: Hazing Headlights - Product that helps

Holy hell thats a x10 fold improvement!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 PM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

I was giddy!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:00 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

That looks really nice, good work
Old 06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

wow, good job
Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 PM
akp20032004
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to try it tomorrow on my 96 with hazy headlights. I try plastx but I couldn't really get the "crusty" stuff off. Hopefully this will work.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:48 PM
HotRod8515
1st Gear Member

I used PlasticX on mine and it worked ok, but I literally had to sand the #$^$% out of the headlights as mine were pretty bad...grits 300, 650, 800, 1200, 2000
Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 PM
akp20032004
2nd Gear Member

It worked AWEOMSE. I love this product. I'm going to recomend this to everyone with this problem.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

I would first wash the headlights (Duh) and follow it up with a good claybar treatment. Thats right, I said claybar. Works great on lexan, polycarbonate, glass, etc. Its not just for paint anymore. Once you have them clean, there is a product called Diamondite that will restore your headlights to their former glory.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:56 PM
BigFloppy
2nd Gear Member

Diamondite glass resurfacing creme works incredibly well on windshields that have gotten themselves scratched by grit and crud on the wipers.

Never tried it on plastic lenses

Quick Reply: Hazing Headlights - Product that helps