Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Help w/Dreaded Rain Spots - Justin or Others?

Old 06-05-2011, 02:03 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default Help w/Dreaded Rain Spots - Justin or Others?

Hey guys - long time since I been around here. Two weeks ago my car got rained on at a show. Not biggie, happened before - just wipe 'er off. Well this time I drove it home, parked it in the garage and dealt with other stuff. Went to clean 'er up and the spots will not go away. Tried wax, glaze, polish, clay & a product called Beyond Clay. Nothing. I'm frustrated and pissed. Car is in a Concours judged event in two weeks and I'm stuck. Any advice? I REALLY don't want to start with an orange pad and compound, but thinking that might be in order? It is original single stage black paint on an '85 GT. Any advice would be appreciated....besides color sanding, as that is not an option for me.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:15 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

if you have a PorterCable, it should take it out just fine...i don't know what products you use, but i use adams and would start with adams swirl and haze remover, then fine machine polish...and if the spots still remained i'd go severe swirl remover, then swirl and haze, then fine machine, and then machine wax, glaze, and americana paste wax...minus the waxes and glaze, if you have a product that uses that similar system, try that
Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I did some reading yesterday on AutoGeek and determined these are Type III Water Spots, typical of single stage paints. Shame on me for going to a show without a good coat of wax on the car and letting the water sit

Yesterday I got out the PC, pads and compound & polish and seemed to have gotten rid of them. Started with a white pad and Optimum Compound (car already had a nice coat of Meguires #7 Glaze on it). Spots were gone, left a typical haze common with compound. Next was a white pad with Optimum polish to bring back the deep black and get rid of the compound haze. Followed up with two moderate coats of Meguires Yellow Tech Wax.

The top, hood and hatch are all done and looking good. Still need to polish and wax the side panels - and might put a 3rd coat of Tech Wax on to for good measure.

Lesson learned for sure - it has been nearly 8 hours of frustration that I could have prevented
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Hey Jason! It's been a long time since I've talked to you bud.

Sorry, I just noticed your post. I'm glad you got rid of the waterspots, common problem on darker colored cars.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Juztang
Hey Jason! It's been a long time since I've talked to you bud.

Sorry, I just noticed your post. I'm glad you got rid of the waterspots, common problem on darker colored cars.
Been too long man! You ever get over to Indy for anything please hit me up so we can try to connect! You going to be at the Mustang Club of Indy show coming up at the end of June?

Email me sowaxeman@jdsaleen.com - talk with you soon.

Jason
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sowaxeman
Been too long man! You ever get over to Indy for anything please hit me up so we can try to connect! You going to be at the Mustang Club of Indy show coming up at the end of June?

Email me sowaxeman@jdsaleen.com - talk with you soon.

Jason
I'm probable not going to be able to make the Mustang show in Indy. I've been so swamped with my detailing business and I've been working every weekend just to keep up.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Gen5_40
1st Gear Member

Thanks for posting this.
I hope this works on my water spot issues.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Gen5_40
Thanks for posting this.
I hope this works on my water spot issues.
Good luck...if you are referring to your 2007, at least you are working on clearcloat. Single Stage is a bitch...you never know when you might be working on that last thin layer of paint