Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Looking to do a full paint correction!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

the V series from chemical guys is great...and also the lineup from adams is great as well

car looks great man
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

i just did mine using the same stuff you did. also on the same color car. came out great. although i also dont think the glaze did very much. almost all the swirl marks are gone. still looking for a proper finishing wax though.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Wolfgang FTMFW. You can't beat the way TSR 3.0 finishes out. It gets out all the moderate-heavy swirls and finishes out without any micro-marring. Honestly, the glaze doesn't even do anything extra for me.

I don't like the idea of a two-step correction where the more abrasive product leaves behind tiny micro-marring. Yuck. I used the line of Pinnacle XMT products once... nope. Even the finishing glaze had some very slight micro-marring.

I'll stand behind Wolfgang all day long.
Originally Posted by Entaille
looking at how flawless your paint looks in your older pics, I'd *love* to see what you feel is out of control / what it looks like right now.

show us some before and after shots! you did a great job on the last detail.
Originally Posted by grnbayfan
i just did mine using the same stuff you did. also on the same color car. came out great. although i also dont think the glaze did very much. almost all the swirl marks are gone. still looking for a proper finishing wax though.
Well I just said the hell with it and ordered the wolfgang combo again. I figured if it worked for me on my 2010 why not stick with a product that I know works and have experience with, and my paint honestly isnt that bad so I shouldnt need the cutting power of the m105. And exactly like grnbayfan and 07blackgt said, even after the first step of the Wolfgang swirl remover with an orange pad, the paint already seems flawless and almost as if the glaze isnt necessary. I am still going to glaze it anyway, and finish it off with a coat of Wolfgang paint sealant and nice coat of Pinnacle Souveran paste wax to give it a high gloss shine.

Heres a list of what I ordered

1. 6 pack of 5.5" Lake Country pads -- (2 orange for swirl removal, 2 gray for glaze, and a red and a blue for applying waxes and sealants)
http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack1.html

2. Wolfgang swirl removal package -- (include Total Swirl Remover 3.0, and Finishing Glaze)
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-removers.html

3. Wolfgang Paint Sealant -- (going to use twice a year, once before spring and once right before winter). This will give the car a good approx. 6 months worth of protection but still going to apply wax regularly to keep up with the shine and extra protection
http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

4. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax -- going to apply regularly which is usually once or twice a month. Even though the sealant is going to give more protection, this will give the paint a deep wet gloss look and give a little added protection
http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html

5. Pinnacle Souveran Spray wax -- (They were buy one get one free so why the hell not lol. For only $24 I get 2 bottles and can use this after every wash as a touch up and quick shine as it only takes about 5 mins to do a whole car)
http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-sou...spray-wax.html

6. Griots Garage Clay -- ( This will be the first step right after washing the car before I start the swirl removal. This will remove all surface dirt/grime from the paint before compounding)
http://www.autogeek.net/griots-detailing-clay.html

7. Waffle Weave Supreme Guzzler towel -- They were also BOGO and I use these to dry my car so I figured why not order some extra
http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html

8. Wash mitts -- Also a BOGO special and for $9.99 I can just throw my old ones out from last year or use those as my new wheel mitts, and use these new fresh ones for the paint.

I will post plenty of before and after pics, as well as tips I find along the way. Hoping to get this done in the next 2 weeks

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 03-06-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

once you do the initial paint correction you shoudnt have to use the swirl remover again right? im assuming after spending 5 hours doing mine, from now on all i will need to apply is a sealant and or wax.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grnbayfan
once you do the initial paint correction you shoudnt have to use the swirl remover again right? im assuming after spending 5 hours doing mine, from now on all i will need to apply is a sealant and or wax.
As long as you do it once you shouldnt have to do it again as long as you maintain the paint correctly. My car was swirl/defect free but about a year ago I hit a deer which caused me to need a new fender and door, and they compounded the car and it came out like **** with buffer swirls everywhere (even though they are only seen at night it still disgusts me). Also I doubt the "aftermarket" clear coat is as hard/thick as the factory so its harder to maintain.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll be doing my first correction soon. I've been researching products and the proper steps but I'm still wondering how to properly use the PC on edges and small areas like the a-pillar?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

UPDATE!!!

Ok well I started my correction last week on wednesday (my only day off is wednesday). I was only able to fully wash, clay and compound the car so it still needs to be POLISHED/GLAZED, SEALED, AND WAXED!!! THESE ARE NOT FINISHED PICS. This wednesday I am going to finish all of that and give you guys the finished result pics, but I figured I would give you an update as of now.

I am using the portercable 7424xp with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and an orange CCS cutting pad to remove all defects. I would say the Total Swirl Remover got out about 95% of defects. I would probably need a heavier cut to get some of the deeper stuff out.

First step if to fully was the car with a dish liquid to strip all waxes and oils from the paint.

Next clay the car to remove all contaminants, then fully dry and tape off all areas you wouldnt want compound on (ex. black trim, headlights)

Next fully compound the car using your choice of a cutting pad and compound/swirl remover. I did 4-6 overlapping passes over the entire car. (some areas may need to be done twice depending on how bad your defects are) Use a speed of 5-6 and exert some downward pressure to let the pad do its cutting.

Once the car is defect free, grab a polishing pad and glaze/finishing polish of you choice and go over the entire car. 3-4 overlapping passes is fine with a speed of 4 on the portercable and minimal pressure. Pressure is not needed unless you are removing swirls.

It is optional to wash the car after the polishing stage to remove all dust from the crevices and paint of the car, that is up to you.

Lastly apply a coat of paint sealant or wax of your choice and other details such as tire shine and trim treatment. I will be applying a coat of Wolfgang followed by a coat of Pinnacle Souveran Wax. (Sealant gives a shine and a very durable protection that lasts approx. 5 months, and the final coat of wax on top will give an even deeper, wetter shine to the paint.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

SORRY PICS ARE WITH MY IPHONE SO QUALITY SUCKS BUT THEY WERE THE BEST I COULD GET

BEFORE PICS

Name:  photo-1_zpsebd6e55c.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  164.2 KB

Name:  rfrf_zps21e75832.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  fff_zpsc05c758f.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  r34_zps9142d595.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  juyh_zps89fc1afd.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  27.6 KB

AFTER

Name:  photofff_zpsd1d12a70.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  5tf45re_zps5e4f28e3.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  5432ge_zps23030d06.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  54r_zpsaf6e12a8.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  ujyhng_zpsc2faec68.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  tg_zpsb7f096a0.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  93.0 KB
Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

Looks incredible, great job.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Coyote'13

About as sexy as it gets

Quick Reply: Looking to do a full paint correction!!