Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

need help with dent

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 PM
yuriy

Angry need help with dent

just today I someone left a dent on the drivers door, lost some paint too. I am really upset, I just got this car a month ago and this is a real **** off, idk wat to do if, should I get it fixed at a body shop, its not event dent just a little chip but its a real eye catcher. Car was sitting on a parking lot, I get off work and right away I notice it, not sure how this happened but I need to get this fixed, its gonna haunt me forever if I don't. Please help me out, I never delt with this before, should I get to a bodyshop or do it myself, wat are my options? this is my baby I need to get this fix asap just not sure wat to go for, wat would this cost me?
Attached Thumbnails need help with dent-wp_000740.jpg   need help with dent-wp_000737.jpg   need help with dent-wp_000738.jpg   need help with dent-wp_000473.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 02:55 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

So I'm not an expert, but I've had exactly the same dent happen in exactly the same spot when I had my '10. Took it to the bodyshop and it was 500 bucks. I felt ripped off so I changed my methods.

That being said and the other experiences I've had, I'd recommend that you find a GOOD paintless dent repair guy. Thats in a bad spot because of the body line, but it's in a great spot for accessibility for a good PDR guy. Make sure you ask to see examples of their work in advance. A PDR guy might take 15-30 mins and charge you maybe 50-80 bucks to fix the dent part at most. Then it looks like you have 3 areas of damage to the paint. The upper scratch and scratch on the right look like clearcoat and should be easily fixable with the rights tools and technique yourself. However, that lower scratch looks like it's through the clear and the color to the primer (hopefully not metal). You can try the paintscratch products and if you take your time and do it right, you can fix it yourself and make it probably 90% invisible. When it's all said and done, you might be 200 bucks if you use a PDR plus build your skills, knowledge and hopefully already have some of the tools to do the job yourself. I don't know personally that I would try to tackle that on such a beautiful car, but frankly, it's already messed up so f it. I can tell you that for 500 bucks I expected perfection and thats not exactly what I got. That's why I started learning this stuff myself.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

By the way, it took me 3 tries to find a PDR guy to do this. Make sure that is all they do is paintless dent repair. Don't take it to a body shop. Body shops do not do PDR and if they do, they are probably not very good at it. You have to use a very special set of expensive tools. Find a dedicated PDR person.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Chazman_1962
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
By the way, it took me 3 tries to find a PDR guy to do this. Make sure that is all they do is paintless dent repair. Don't take it to a body shop. Body shops do not do PDR and if they do, they are probably not very good at it. You have to use a very special set of expensive tools. Find a dedicated PDR person.
I found one at the local Dodge dealer. I had the same dent in my 2012 Challenger. Did not think a paintless repair could work. The guy came to my house and wala no dent. I put a small dent in my 2013 mustang called him out and again perfection
Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chazman_1962
I found one at the local Dodge dealer. I had the same dent in my 2012 Challenger. Did not think a paintless repair could work. The guy came to my house and wala no dent. I put a small dent in my 2013 mustang called him out and again perfection
PDR is really cool and a great value. And heck, if it doesnt work you're only out a few bucks and not hundreds!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

My buddy who is a class A body man just took one look at it and said take it to a pro. You'll just screw it up worse in your garage. The entire door will need to be repainted to make it look right. He says the metal is stretched, Sorry for the bad news.

ps where in Ontario?

Last edited by buster; 08-09-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Yeah that's my fear, that you'll end up having to repaint the door. Can they do PDR on a dent that small? I fear they'll have to fill it or do that thing where they make a tiny hole and use that dent pulling tool, whatever it's called...