Forum Issues and Feedback Discuss any issues you are having with using Mustang Forums here.

Differences Between New Member and Full Access

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Default Differences Between New Member and Full Access

So apparently new members aren't able to see images that I post on the forum. Is this a glitch, or is it part of the "newbie parole" that limits access to certain forum features?

It's been so long since I was a new member, that I don't even remember what the limitations were. I see in this thread that one must reach 30 days and 50 posts before having full access. Is that still the case? And what are the limitations, exactly? Demon 340's post only mentions access to certain subforums. Are images and other attachments supposed to be blocked too?

Funny thing is- not only can I see the images as an established member, but I can even see them while logged out of the forum. Why should a new member need permission to view images if non-members can see them? Doesn't make sense.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:32 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I was told such when I wanted to post for sale stuff, I needed to have so many posts.

Yet, the "staff" lets new users post for sale items out of the for sale section, where they
can cheat the requirements, to post it anyway.

DO not know about the image thing... May just be some areas...
Old 08-26-2018, 10:47 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
I was told such when I wanted to post for sale stuff, I needed to have so many posts.

Yet, the "staff" lets new users post for sale items out of the for sale section, where they
can cheat the requirements, to post it anyway.

DO not know about the image thing... May just be some areas...
No they don't - but we can't catch every post. So use the reporting feature to alert a mod for the section.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:01 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

The ability to see images and attachments is something like 5 posts I think, but that's interesting those can be viewed when logged out. I will check if there is something in the works to change.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:59 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
So apparently new members aren't able to see images that I post on the forum. Is this a glitch, or is it part of the "newbie parole" that limits access to certain forum features?

It's been so long since I was a new member, that I don't even remember what the limitations were. I see in this thread that one must reach 30 days and 50 posts before having full access. Is that still the case? And what are the limitations, exactly? Demon 340's post only mentions access to certain subforums. Are images and other attachments supposed to be blocked too?

Funny thing is- not only can I see the images as an established member, but I can even see them while logged out of the forum. Why should a new member need permission to view images if non-members can see them? Doesn't make sense.
Anyone can see pics that are hosted from a third party whether they're logged in or not. The only pics that can't be seen are ones hosted by our site if they aren't logged in.
All members can see pics always, unless they are on a company computer/wifi that blocks pics.
Bottom line:
1. New members can post pics when logged in.
2. New members can see pics hosted here when logged in.
3. Anyone logged in or not can see third party hosted pics anytime.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HRnB
Anyone can see pics that are hosted from a third party whether they're logged in or not. The only pics that can't be seen are ones hosted by our site if they aren't logged in.
Are you sure?

I was able to confirm on my end across multiple devices and browsers that I can view forum-hosted pics even if I am not logged in. Not just the attached thumbnail, but I can enlarge the image to full-size too. Here's a link to the thread in question if needed for troubleshooting.

As for the new member not being able to see pics, maybe he does have a restricted connection. I hadn't considered that.