General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

WHATS GOOD REPLACMENT FOR STOCK SHOCKS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 04:41 PM
goldrush
1st Gear Member

Default WHATS GOOD REPLACMENT FOR STOCK SHOCKS???

can anyone recommend a good replacement shocks for 96 gt not lowered. looking for performace better than stock, but some comfort as well. anyone know brands,prices,places to get. failed inspection for front shocks.going to replace all at once. thanks for any info.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Brian18034
1st Gear Member

Default RE: WHATS GOOD REPLACMENT FOR STOCK SHOCKS???

If you want the best... Bilstein
Old 02-28-2004, 10:38 PM
N2OJunkie
I ♥ Acer

Eibachs or Tokico.dude do a web search for prices , you have the comp in front of you.....
Old 02-29-2004, 02:00 AM
GT99GT
2nd Gear Member

eibachs are great... i changed half of my suspension to eibach.... springs, shocks and struts... and sway bars on the way... go with eibach.... especially if ur gonna get springs... get the eibach prokit or sportline and the eibach pro damper kit(shock/struts)... great combo for much better handling
Old 03-11-2004, 01:12 PM
joeblow5_0

You should consider replacing the shocks/struts and springs at the same time. This will give big improvement in handling... if you want better handling.

Bilsteins and H&R springs are what I would go with if I was redoing my car. Check out www.maximummotorsports.com for these parts. You can find them elsewhere, but MM knows the right parts to get.

Joe
Old 03-11-2004, 04:11 PM
nichristy

I am in the same boat in that my 96 GT Convertible needs shocks. I figure I might as well also get new springs (to lower) and improve the looks.

Educate me here. Why Bilstien and H&R?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 PM
GT99GT
2nd Gear Member

bilstein makes some of the best shocks out there... thats why bilstein... H&R makes very good springs as well... thats why they are a good combo.... i went with Eibach springs and Eibach shocks and struts because they are designed to work in harmony together.... in other words the shocks are exactly fitted and adjusted for the spring rate .... when shocks and springs are designed to go together... thats always good...
Old 03-12-2004, 06:45 PM
joeblow5_0

nichristy,

According to the info I've read on MM's website and from numerous testimonials, Bilstein's design of their shocks is very good at compensating for various road conditions. They use a large diameter single tube design that allows smooth operation with high spring rates. MM and others recommend Bilstein's when using 800 lb/in springs and higher.

Koni's are also a highly recommended brand. They offer double adjustable (DA's) units for fine tuning of the compression/rebound and single adjustable for simpler set-up. I'm not sure how to determine the settings, I just know from others' comments.

Bilsteins are install them and forget them, they work in all situations. Koni's and Bilstein's are pricey... expect to pay $400+ for these shocks, but they are worth it.

H&R springs are a good brand due to their reputation and various spring rates available. They offer stock rates up to racing rates all with some lowering effect. I'm not familiar with other brands.

Again, check out the website in my post above for reputable information. I've never read/heard anyone say a bad word about Max Motorsports.

Joe
Old 03-23-2004, 02:19 AM
GT 03

i have BBK 1.5 lowering srings and tokico high performance struts for my '03 gt, had to buy the 84-94....struts b/c of my ride height, the stock one's where to long they kept bottoming out...........to anwser your question Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustible or the Tokico High-performance struts and shocks..............5-way = $114.95-168.95 ea., and high perf. =$54.95-139.95 ea..........you pick..........if you race, definately the adjustible one's if not, the other ............my '03 rides great highly recommend, let me know later..
Old 03-27-2004, 05:02 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

For all you Eibach lovers!!!!!!!!! Maybe Im the first I have no clue I BENT an eibach spring!!!!!!! I didnt know it was possible but yeah I did it!!! So Ive got a new set on the way.... I was thinking about it and Im a brodeee queen and I have a tendency to throw the car to the pas side.. and thats the side that bent.. so go figure!!! But just heads up they arent indestructible lol

Mel

Quick Reply: WHATS GOOD REPLACMENT FOR STOCK SHOCKS???