General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I shoulda just used a carb...Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 08:33 PM
gmkilla
1st Gear Member

Default I shoulda just used a carb...Help!?

Allright, I'm new to this forum and hoping that somebody out there can help me. I have a a 92 lx in near perfect condition. It was originally a 4 cyl car, with a seized 2.3. Not being able to find a decent 5.0 around, i decided to tackle the conversion. Everybody always asks, so yes, i swapped rearends, front breaks, rear brakelines, springs, transmission, gauges, and all the stuff that is often over looked. For the wiring, i used the main harness and engine harness with engine mounted sensors from ford racing, and a computer from a junkyard out of another 92. Here's the problem: the check engine light is on, so tried to use one of those actron code scanners. THe scanner works fine on other vehicles, but when i plug into my harness while its in the hold position and with the key off, it makes a continuous tone. Also, if i measure voltage from SIG RTN to VREF, i get something like .89V, but I understand it should be 5V. I was told to unplug the TPS, EGR, ACT, BAP, and coolant temp sensor to isolate a bad sensor, but none make a difference. I was wondering if this could be a short in the computer, wrong computer, or somewhere else? I have been looking into new computers, but do not want to buy one and damage it if there is something bad in the wiring. I know this is a tough one, especially without even seeing the car, but any thoughts at all would be appreciated. THanks
Desperate to get this car on the road for spring,
Chris
Old 03-06-2004, 09:04 PM
red347
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I shoulda just used a carb...Help!?

You might check out this site http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/v8/v8.htm and if he doesn't cover what you are looking for, send an E-mail. Fletch is really knowledgeable.

Ron
Old 03-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Are you sure you have the correct scanner? '92 has an OBD 1 system. Perhaps you have the wrong harness, or computer? If you got the system out of a '93, that uses an OBD 2 system.

Just a thought.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:37 PM
gmkilla
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys, I'll checkoutthesite, and if sidewayz4.6 is, thenyeah, ihavethe wrong computer most likely, i'm going to look into it. Thanks again -Chris
Old 03-08-2004, 06:54 PM
gmkilla
1st Gear Member

Hey, made some calls, and I was told the Mustang wasn't OBDII until 96, but so I dunno.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

That was my mistake. Some cars converted earlier, but in '96 all cars in the U.S. were required to have the OBD II system. I could swear that my scanner says '93 and up. I need to stop smoking so much rock.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:14 PM
gmkilla
1st Gear Member

HAHA, it's cool