General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Problem starting the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Sergey
1st Gear Member

Default Problem starting the car

I have a 1995 V6 and lately it's been taking longer to crank up before starting (about 7 sec) and before it started easily. I took it to the mechanic and he changed my fuel filter,as it was the cheapest thing to do (the old one was very dirty) but it still doesn't start very good. He says that the fuel pressure is not held so it could be the injectors or the fuel pump,and both would come out as a big hit for my pocket. Any thoughts,advice,suggestions?Apreciate your help very much.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Problem starting the car

I would say its the fuel pump also.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:44 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Try this. Before you start the car, prime the pump a few times. Key on, key off. 2-3 times. Then start it. If it fires right up, it's most likely the pump. Very rare do the injectors leak down. They do, but it's rare.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Jon88Mustang

Whats up my name is Jon i have a 88 Mustang an i am have a starting problem,I was driving my car one night and the car started acting like it was losing power and then it was fine. I get back to the house shut it off then went to bed. got up went out to the car would not start, then it would not even turn over.The battery is not dead.The fual pump is not working. I have replace ignition switch, starter relay, replaced fuseable links, what should i try next the EEC relay, Computer, i am clueless. The starter is not bad check that. NEED HELP
Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Sergey
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Try this. Before you start the car, prime the pump a few times. Key on, key off. 2-3 times. Then start it. If it fires right up, it's most likely the pump. Very rare do the injectors leak down. They do, but it's rare.

tried that,it started pretty quick...

If it is the fuel pump,has anyone here replaced a fuel pump? how hard is it to do yourself and can it be done without any special equipment that authorized mechanics have?

thanks for all the help
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 AM
PBNOVA6

not to hijack but ive got a similar problem to if anybodys got any ideas it would be helpful. when i start my car after its been sitting a while(over night/a few hours) it starts fine but say i turn it off run inside somewhere for a sec and then try to start it again it has trouble starting .. any ideas..?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sergey

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

tried that,it started pretty quick...

If it is the fuel pump,has anyone here replaced a fuel pump? how hard is it to do yourself and can it be done without any special equipment that authorized mechanics have?

thanks for all the help
Run as much fuel out as you can before you start the job,that makes the work a lot easier.Basic tools are all you really need,a floor jack really helps when reinstalling the tank.
FORD,,,,NOW HEAR THIS.Cut a hole in the body above the fuel pump so we don't have to drop the d#*n tank to fix these things!!!![:@]
Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Here's a wierd one everyone:

My car starts immediately, after a 1/8 of a second of turning the key, only if the engine is really cold, i.e., has been sitting all night, or for two days in a row. However, if I've been runing the car for about 20 minutes, and then shut it off, it takes about 4-5 seconds of to start. What is up with that?!
Old 04-06-2006, 05:11 PM
GTuner
1st Gear Member

i have the same EXACT problem, its my feul pump i no for sure, i replaced my plugs/wires/feul filter and none helped. i tryed that a couple days ago priming the pump like 4-5 times n it started up right away. i no its goin bad. thats the only other soluitin me n my freinds can come up with... , untill i get money for it, im just gonna leave it be.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

Run as much fuel out as you can before you start the job,that makes the work a lot easier.Basic tools are all you really need,a floor jack really helps when reinstalling the tank.
FORD,,,,NOW HEAR THIS.Cut a hole in the body above the fuel pump so we don't have to drop the d#*n tank to fix these things!!!![:@]
My bro had his trunk liner out of his jetta today, and i was like wtf is this cover for and he says to change the fuel pump.. then when i saw that post, i was like lololol owned, then i remembered I'm gonna have a mustang soon

Quick Reply: Problem starting the car