General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sh*tty gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 05:31 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Sh*tty gas mileage

Ya really, I wonder when BOSCH is going to stop making that product or at least improve on the design. I bet when somone goes to them with that problem that they say it was probably a clearance issue and the piston hit it, LMFAO! Yah, sure.... Did your friend contact them? If so what was their excuse?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:25 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Just did a tune up on my car. New plugs (Autolite double plats), wires, and fuel filter. All I can say is WOW!! I like the Autolite plugs. A lot of the "little" problems I was having disappeared, and the increased power is VERY noticeable. Best I could tell I had 86,000 on original OEM equipment. If your twice that you've got some issues....

I'd forgotten a '92 had a distributor. I agree with GMKiller, if your running original stuff you need to do a MAJOR tuneup. May not fix everything but you'll notice a HUGE difference.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:03 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

i know in my experiences, autolites have yet to let me down...great plug and cheap...
Old 03-11-2004, 02:55 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Im still running OEM parts on my car and its 146k miles. But i have changed alot. I need to do my plug wires (8.5 of course) and a new ignition box, thinking of MSD for the later build on the car. When I changed my plugs it was a huge difference but with the stock motorcraft wires (one is split now) its a minimal increase. Luckily when I get my buildup underway I will be able to change everything OEM and basicly be a new car all over again, thats the great thing about build ups or restorations

And if your ride is feeling a bit sluggish then you might want to concider some new tie rod ends and new Polyeurothane bushings for a stiff ride and polygraphite for a more lax luxury ride. Obviosly if your a performance nutt then you want the Polyeurothane to squeeze around those corners with minimal body roll. Bushing kits are cheap and really shouldnt be much over or under $200. You need a special tool that you can buy for around $20 dollars to press some of the bushings in.

Another great thing to change is yout wheel bearings, you may not hear them now but you should change them or at least go buy a .99 cent packet of bearing greese from autozone and re-pack them. You would probably be well off to change your stock shocks as well.

If you ever wonder why V6 stangs aquire so many miles its because people arent afraid to beat them into the ground, they figure its nothing special like a Cobra and its not nearly as expensive. Then people like you and I come in and get them and fix them back up just to be abused again with the next owner, LOL.

If you have any squeeks then its probably a good idea to go around the car with some WD-40 and Lithium greese, WD-40 is a cleaning agent so you should always follow it up by some lubricating material. That will take care of annoying sounds and help to lengthen the life of whatever part was rubbing on what.

A good alignment never hurt either and will slightly improve your fuel economy because the car is streight now and not wobbling, along with the alignment you should have your tires ballanced. And if you want extra performance and improved fuel economy then get some headers and go to dual exhaust. Less backpressure makes the engine work less and thus not have to burn so much fuel, Underdrive pullys have the same concept, the reduce the amount of energy used to turn the engine. Again Roller rockers and Roller lifters will also help reduce friction, improve economy and gain about 20hp.

Anywhere where you can make the engine work less (without damaging it) will cause an increase in power and fuel economy.

Happy Modding [8D]

-Neo-
Old 03-12-2004, 02:39 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

thanks everyone. cause i had another post going on about my car having troubles starting at times. i have a 92 lx 5.0 so its fuel injected but to get it started i have to hold the gas pedal down for about 5 seconds while turning the key. then a whole sh*t load of smoke comes out of the back and it reeks of gas. yeah i think ill give it a major tune up. i want to put another engine in it but im just not sure what i want to go in there. either a 331, 347 or 351. have to do somemore reseach. had a 347 in my 86 gt and it burned alot of oil. only exhaust mod it has on the car is flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers. im the 2nd owner. god i miss my 86 gt and R.I.P my 2000 gt.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:27 PM
91GTRI

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

Your looking at about $60 dollars per sensor and there are 4 of them. Good luck!
Plugs are cheap, dont bother with the multi-point plugs, they are **** and the Bosch +4 prongs break off sometimes and really mess things up. Iridium is the best way to go right now so get some of those. NGK makes iridium plugs I think, check their site out. Also those BOSCH +4 run hot and put excess stress on your ignition system.
You say there are 4 of them? I just did the entire exhaust, replacing headers and everything, and I only saw 2 02 sensors. Where would the other 2 be located? I have a 91 Gt, if that makes a difference. My check engine light comes on all the time, and I'm getting about 17-18 mpg. Do you think I should replace the 02 sensors? One is new when I did the exhaust, as the threads stripped out when I tried taking it out of the old exhaust. The car has a complete tuneup.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:50 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Go to Autozone with about $200 dollars or a credit card and borrow their OBDI and find out what the Check engine light code is. From there take that code and look it up in the manual if it doesnt already tell you what it is. Your OBDI connection is under the drivers side dash somewhere, should be easy to get to. The Manual should show you where it is.

It is probably different for my car because its a 95' I have 2 sensors after the headers but before the cats and 2 sensors after the cats. I would figure out what that Check Engine light means before you go and buy something expensive like that. I hope you get it resolved, keep us updated. Good luck.

-Eric-
Old 03-13-2004, 08:52 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Oh, when your done using their OBDI they will refund your cash so dont worry about it, just dont break it
Old 03-14-2004, 02:33 AM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Good advice boys..... Just added like 50 billion more things to my to do list for the beast... lol
Yeah my car has been doing the same, crappy gas mileage I can go about 165 to a tank...... Ive got different gears but shes callin for a tune up bad... specially after this past winter....... Its a 95 5.0 but I just hit 200k........
Mel
Old 03-14-2004, 03:44 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Youre too far or i would tune it up for you.But mexico's a bit too far.LOL

Quick Reply: Sh*tty gas mileage