General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aod Tranny HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:14 PM
92DropTopStang
1st Gear Member

Default Aod Tranny HELP!!!!!!

Ok I have a 92 LX convertible with 97000 miles on it and i bought the car about 3 months ago and the trans has started acting funny. It has a stall i think a 1500 and a shift kit of some sort. I has been haveing trouble shifting from 2 intoi first when stopping and also getting into first from a complete stop. I had a friend suggest getting a temp gauge and hooking it up and make sure its not getting to hot. It doesnt seem to to it when i am driving to school first thing in the morning but in the afternoon starts acting weird. The car also make a funny sound as rpm's increase its similar to an electric motor being wound up really fast but not at its own will. Any help would be great and also if anyone thatinks it the trans wat would be the best way about gettign a new or a rebuild. Type, brand, etc.... thanx
Old 03-13-2004, 09:14 PM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Aod Tranny HELP!!!!!!

Sounds like yo tranny is a tickin time bomb. My 86 used to have that problem and I had the tranny rebuilt. That fixed it for about 6 months and then it went out again. I ended up puttin a five speed in it. Im not sure about what kind of automatic to get if you get a new one but if you do get a rebuild or a new one MAKE SURE to flush your trans cooler cause the metal thats in your tranny fluid willl remain in there and f7ck up your new one. Im sure someone else can help you on what kind to get. Im just lettin you know its gonna be soon. Also another way to check is to check your trans fluid and you will be able to tell if its got metal in it cause it will have a grey tint when you wipe it on a paper towel.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:52 PM
92DropTopStang
1st Gear Member

Thanx i have a question though how hard was the conversion and what was it price wise.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:07 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

so this is an aod?.......first what color is the fluid? red or brown.....might try changing the filter..I like the remote type....you might have andustment problem..strat with the cheap and easy stuff
Old 03-13-2004, 10:15 PM
92DropTopStang
1st Gear Member

the fluid is red but almost a clear red i had a friend tell me that u cant just drain all the fluid and refill it or it will cloge up all the holes in the trans is this true??? also how to u change the fliter and how would that have anythign to do with the car shifting???
Old 03-14-2004, 12:36 AM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

I dont know about it clogging up the tranny but it would be worth a try before swapping the tranny. You just pull the trans pan off and drain the fluid and then just pull the filter off. Itll cost you bout $20. Youll have to get a new pan gasket and filter. Takes bout 20 minutes to do. Dont forget the new fluid too. Think its like 11 or 12 quarts. Not sure though.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:04 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

auto trannies work on hydraulic pressure, so if the pump filter is plugged, it can't flow and generate enough pressure to make things work properly. dropping the trans pan and changing the fluid and filter is a relatively cheap and easy thing to do but if you put more than 5 quarts back in it, you will be mopping up the excess off the driveway for a long time. it also takes more than 20 minutes to do, especially if you're in the driveway and not up on a lift. the whole AOD only takes 7 quarts including what's in the converter, so don't overfill it as it will be messy. if the pan has lots of crud in it and the fluid smells burnt, then you probably need to think about a rebuild or replacement. hopefully changing the filter and fluid will buy you some time. Art Carr makes a nice Extreme AOD. I have the race version with a full manual valve body and a 2500 rpm stall without the overdrive gear. you have to shift it yourself, but it is a ball to drive with really hard shifts as soon as you move the shifter. Paid about $2,500 for it and it has been worth every penny! Lentech Automotive also makes a well respected AOD that is very beefy too. My original 88 AOD must have been a real good one as I raced it starting at 78,000 miles and only replaced it after it had 108,000 miles on it and I only changed the fluid/filter in it once at 50,000 miles!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:24 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Being the fact its an AOD and you seem to have no prior knowledge or experience with trannies take it to a reputable shop and have them check your TV cable to see if its adjusted properly.You also should do a fluid and filter change.

I never buy a vehicle and drive it farther than home without changing all the fluids.You would be amazed at how dumb people are.Not to mention most people drive it until it breaks then worry about it.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST THE TV CABLE YOURSELF IT WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE TRANNY FAILURE IF DONE WRONG!
Old 03-14-2004, 05:46 PM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

Sorry bout the fluid level as you dont want to put in too much cause believe it or not this can also f7ck your tranny. No wonder mine went kaboom! J/K
Old 03-14-2004, 08:03 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

always check the cheap stuff..but like gm said if you have some **** you have to crape out of the pan it's ban wear..this is why I used a remote filter so I can change filter every 5k and do a fluid change every 20k ..I have 297k on my chev 350 turbo trans using ford fliud a shift kit and a cooler in my truck

Quick Reply: Aod Tranny HELP!!!!!!