General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

transmission pan seal?

Old 04-20-2006, 03:55 AM
thehourg
1st Gear Member

Default transmission pan seal?

i was wandering, i already installed and torqued the bolts to the tranny pan, but i see a few drops of fluid by the trans.. yoke, since the seal has already been made, would it be wise (would this break my seal) to try and tighten the bolts nearest the yoke to see if this would get rid of the minor fluid drops? or do i leave it alone? PS. i have dropped this pan before and had a lot of probs, thats why i am leary about screwing around with it anymore than i have to...
Old 04-20-2006, 03:06 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: transmission pan seal?

I'd clean all fluid off, start the car, don't drive it, & see if fluid reappears. It could be the tailshaft seal leaking & making it look like the pan seal is bad. Although less likely; shift selector seal and\or speedo cable o-ring seal is bad & the fluid is blowing back to the pan\tailshaft area(misleading you). If no fluid appears while up to operating temps in the driveway; then drive it slowly around the block once or twice before reinspecting..... Good luck!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:31 PM
thehourg
1st Gear Member

Default RE: transmission pan seal?

thanks man, im kinda thinking the same thing, possibly the seal in the back of the tranny could be letting out a few drops here and there....