General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 Mustang Fuel Pump Relay HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 07:29 PM
jprecup

Default 95 Mustang Fuel Pump Relay HELP!

I’m having a problem with my Mustang that I can’t find a solution to. I have a 95 GT Mustang. I have had it teched on a computer and it comes up with a problem code of fuel pump relay. The problem I have is that the fuel pump relay is not found in the fuse box with the large fuses and other relays. It simply is not their. So I have gone to three different mechanics and three ford dealers. The final ford dealer informed me that the fuel pump relay is in the multi function relay located next to the cooling fan. This did not fix my problem and I don’t believe that was the correct piece.

My car runs just fine for 30-45 minutes. Then it sputters and it’s as if the fuel is being turned off and the car dies. I wait for about 20 minutes, start the car and it runs fine. I can’t isolate where the fuel pump relay is on my model. The mechanics can’t find it, the dealers mechanics are telling me its other components that control the fuel pump relay on my car. I have replaced these components with no avail to correcting my problem. I can’t find any sort of schematic from the dealers. Can someone please help me out with this perplexing problem. THANKS!!!!

Jacob Precup
Old 03-21-2004, 06:16 AM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 95 Mustang Fuel Pump Relay HELP!

Well it looks like a trouble shooting game to me, I would get a fuel pressure test done on the fuel pump to see what kind of PSI you are getting from it, Or you may have a pluged fuel filter, If those 2 check out ok, I would check out youre fuel injectors, Then if that is all good, I would take a look at youre ignition switch for wire shorts. Bassically thats all a mechanic will do for ya
Old 03-21-2004, 10:48 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

don't know if this will help, but on my 88 the fuel pump relay is under the driver's seat! it's a little black cube about 1" square mounted on a sheel metal bracket with a small wiring harness plugged into it.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:46 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Sounds stupid, but I'll pass the information along anyway because it seems relevant. I had an old Mazda that had the exact same symptom, (except the diagnostic code...didn't have 'em then) turned out my rotor had a slight burn in it and was grounding out the ignition system. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, wires, plugs, coil, the works. It took a shadetree mechanic to find it.

Now, as for relay locations. I don't have access to '95 GT info, but '96 should be close. Sooo..

I can't find anything related to a fuel pump relay except on the Cobra. The only thing I can find is inertia fuel shutoff in the trunk. If your interested I can email you the electrical schematic for the fuel pump circuit.

e40water gave you some good advice. Just start trouble shooting it. Sounds like it may be heat related in that your able to run it for 30-45 minutes. Now heat related doesn't mean it's getting too hot, it just means that something is expanding to touch or allow somethng to touch something else as it gets hot. The fact it runs again after it cools some, kind of solidifies that assumption.

Again, for me it was a small hole in the rotor, for some reason it took getting the car warm for it to act up. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:02 PM
9COILEDSERPENT6
2nd Gear Member

where is the fuel pump relay located on a 96 cobra?
Old 03-10-2006, 08:55 PM
96RagTop

On the 96 cobra its by the powertrain control module which is behind glove box area . the 95 is part of the Constant Control Relay Module which is mounted on a bracket behind the engine coolant reservoir.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:03 PM
96RagTop

Here is scematic for the 95 in case it helps.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:39 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

did you ever fix the problem? Mine has done this before, only on very hot days. Not all that often, but when it does, it sux!! there are a quite a few 95's with this problem, but its so sporatic, its hard to tell what it is. The latest thing i have heard is the "stator" could be the problem. not sure exactly what that is, but am looking into it.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:59 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

stator refers to your distributor i believe and usually this problem would be the tfi located on it, not the stator itself
Old 09-09-2017, 01:02 PM
perryfamily@ssctv.net

Default Updates?

Originally Posted by ToplessGT
did you ever fix the problem? Mine has done this before, only on very hot days. Not all that often, but when it does, it sux!! there are a quite a few 95's with this problem, but its so sporatic, its hard to tell what it is. The latest thing i have heard is the "stator" could be the problem. not sure exactly what that is, but am looking into it.

I seen your input on this problem, have you had any success in figuring out what exactly is causing it? My daughter has an 05 Mustang v6 and it is doing the exact same thing. We've had it in the repair shop and towed in a couple of times, everything previously mentioned has been replaced with the exception of the fuel relay switch that no one can seem to locate. We have the part, just can't find it to replace. Not even the dealer! We have not gone in the route of distributor/stator.