General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GT Convertible Top Care

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 05:35 PM
ssss9

Default GT Convertible Top Care

I have a 06 GT Convertible with a Black Top. What is the recommended care (products, etc) to keep the top looking new?

Old 05-03-2006, 07:13 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Convertible Top Care

I've been asking that ever since I got my '02

And the answer is.. just wash it with a soft cloth & soap and that's all you need to do. And,, do NOT put ArmourAll on it!!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:53 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

I use turtle wax
Old 05-04-2006, 07:36 PM
TC713
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

I've been asking that ever since I got my '02

And the answer is.. just wash it with a soft cloth & soap and that's all you need to do. And,, do NOT put ArmourAll on it!!

Why no ArmourAll? I was actually just surfing through looking to see if it that was ok to use, and came across your post....
Does it leave a greasy residue?
Old 05-05-2006, 02:28 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

From what everyone says, it dries it out. I don't have a clue though, i just let it chill. The rest of my car will be filthy but the top will look clean... guess that's what i get for having a tan top.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

The Armor All will severely dry out and crack rubber and vinyl when exposed to massive doses of direct sunlight such as your convertible top. Forget about leather altogether. Armor All has also had an issue with causing dry rot in tires. Much better products on the market today. Polymer chemistry in the 2000's is awesome! Biggest question is vinyl or canvas top? Most Mustang verts have vinyl with the exceptions of special interest Mustangs such as newer era Cobras and possibly Roush & Saleen. You can buy a convertible top cleaner directly from your Ford dealer through his parts department.

I have a '98 GT vert with a black vinyl top. I first use a quality car wash liquid in my pail to clean both the car and the top. Once the top is dry, I apply one of Meguiar's latest products to my top and smooth it out with a terry towel. The NXT (Next) line of products currently available from Meguiar utilizes the latest technology in polymer chemistry. I use the product that is for vinyl, rubber and plastic (NOT clear plastic). I have even used it on my dash and doors, anything other than my leather seating areas. It lasts a LONG time. Makes your convertible top look like new. It has tons of UV protectants and a whole host of other beneficial chemicals. As a matter of fact, one of the best car wash products I have ever used is the very same Meguiar's NXT car wash liquid. Most any car care outlet will carry these products. You can probably even find them in Walmart's and K-Mart.

http://www.autobarn.net/menegepr.htm
http://www.detailsupplydepot.com/scr...OVMTC=standard

As far as wax, the following link will turn you on to the best product I have ever used, particularly with dark finishes. Simply Z-Best car wax: http://www.z-bestcarwax.com Wipe on, wipe off. No drying or powdery white residue whatsoever, can be applied in direct sunlight and leaves a 6 month shine. Makes black scream out at you. I get my supply each year at the NYC Auto Show. One bottle will wax the average sized car at least 15 times or more! Great stuff.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:15 PM
TC713
1st Gear Member

Nice post with lots of good info. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Stang562
4th Gear Member

I used armorall back in the day and it didnt crack or anything i just had to reapply it over and over, but now my dumb brother rip my top because he locked the keys inside...... and i was wondering how much would it cost to replace the convertible top. does anybody have an estimate?
Old 05-06-2006, 02:36 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Stang562

I used armorall back in the day and it didnt crack or anything i just had to reapply it over and over, but now my dumb brother rip my top because he locked the keys inside...... and i was wondering how much would it cost to replace the convertible top. does anybody have an estimate?
In Canada, it would cost you about $900 - $1,200 just for the top. Installation would be extra.

Expect to pay a little less in the states.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Stang562
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

ORIGINAL: Stang562

In Canada, it would cost you about $900 - $1,200 just for the top. Installation would be extra.

Expect to pay a little less in the states.

damn that much?? i was expecting something around $500 but oh well i have to start saving up

Quick Reply: GT Convertible Top Care