General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GT Convertible Top Care

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Valcore
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GT Convertible Top Care

ummm did u say to put regular car wax on the top? that would make it white wouldn't it?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:42 AM
ying.yang.gt

Just got my 2000 GT Vert 2 days ago. Wish I would of gotten one sooner........

Armour All.... Coats and seals, it's good for the inside but acts like cooking oil on the outside. Whatever it covers cannot release the heat that is absorbed and begins to break down. Best thing to use is soap and water.....

My car didn't come with a book and I dont mean to get off topic but..... Does anyone know the corect way to install the top cover? I think I'm doing it right but it seems that it would fly off. Can't figure out the snaps!!!

Thanx..
Old 05-09-2006, 12:29 PM
team_ford_racing

I just had my top replaced on my 1997 about 2 months ago it costed me 1200 total it would have cost me 700 if I could have reused the rear window but it was to badly dry roted the person who had the car before me did put anything on and caused the top to dry rot the shop that did my top said to use silcone based products like Black magic same stuff you use on the tires and to spray it on a cloth then wipe down the top.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

My top is all covered with brown dirt and mud spots. tried soap and water, didnt seem to work.

I think i did it wrong.

is there a "technique" to do it using soap and water?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:19 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Just use something soft like a wash mitt to gently scrub the top with the soapy water.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Crystal
2nd Gear Member

My mother just got her convertible top replaced and they recommended a product call Ragg Top. It is highly endorsed by Haartz, a leading manufacturer of vinyl tops for cars. She hasn't put it on yet so I am not sure how it performs.

If any of you have any questions about the care of your convertible top, contact a reputable upholstery shop that does replacements and see what they say.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:23 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Crystal

My mother just got her convertible top replaced and they recommended a product call Ragg Top. It is highly endorsed by Haartz, a leading manufacturer of vinyl tops for cars. She hasn't put it on yet so I am not sure how it performs.

If any of you have any questions about the care of your convertible top, contact a reputable upholstery shop that does replacements and see what they say.
I think that;s what I just bought from 50 resto. It was like 30 bucks I think. Haven't used it yet so I can't comment on the quality of it.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:34 AM
ying.yang.gt

ORIGINAL: Dearborn5.0

My top is all covered with brown dirt and mud spots. tried soap and water, didnt seem to work.

I think i did it wrong.

is there a "technique" to do it using soap and water?

Use a good car wash soap and if some spots are tough a tooth brush works great.

I've got a leak in mine and i'm going to have it repaired. I'll ask the guys at the shop what they recommend.