General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

newly bought mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
4.6BLKGT
2nd Gear Member

Default newly bought mustang

Hey
I just bought a 2001 mustang gt, and i am really excited about putting somemoney in parts into it.. I have no idea where to start, and i am open for suggestions that will boost my hp..

thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: newly bought mustang

Underdrive pulleys would be a good start with a thorttle body and elbow to follow.A high flow air filter from SB or K&N is also worthwhile.You can do a couple of things like trimming the air snorkel or removing it altogether,and the screen can come out from in front of the MAF.These mods will give about the same increases as a CAI and won't cost you anything.Remember to reinstall the rubber seal that is around the screen or you will have an unfiltered air leak.Removing the MAF screen will also lean out your fuel air mixture so be on the lookout for detonation.If you do get detonation and reinstall the screen be sure to orient the screen mesh at 90* angles the MAF element.
I also have a Steeda timing adjuster set at +3* that helps also.
These are all things that can be done in your driveway with simple tools in a couple of hours.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:30 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default RE: newly bought mustang

there are TONS of threads and stickys about this,, so youre first bet would to be head to the 4.6 section and read up on them

to be honest with you, I feel that your first mod should depend on your goal for the car

if its just a cruiser, something to have fun in, and to feel quick, maybe light some tires up and what not.

then hands down your first modification should be exhaust

a catback and midpipe are your #1 fun/attention getter mods
gears are fun as well

or maybe youre not too worried about performance, look into some visual mods and the such

read the stickeys, get aquainted with some members here and you'll be on your way
welcome!