General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

performance chip

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 04:44 PM
fantasyfords
1st Gear Member

Default performance chip

Hey guys, quick question. I am considering purchasing a chip for my car. I know someone selling a chip that would fit my 88 speed density setup but it is for a manual. I have an auto. I've heard you can use a different computer (auto with man. comp or man. with auto comp. But i havent really heard anything about chips. Would this chip work??
Old 04-01-2004, 08:15 PM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: performance chip

You can use a auto computer in a manual but not sure bout a manual in an auto. I think the only difference is that the auto computer makes the engine run a little richer for the fact that an auto uses more gas than a manual. I dont see why the chip would hurt it though. All the chip does is richen the fuel mixture and advance the timing basically.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:54 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

WASTE OF MONEY!

If this thing is bonestock you are wasting cash.A chip is only designed to take full advantage of other mods like heads,cam,bigger tb,and so on.

A stock motor wont give you jack **** man.

Put that money in a better place like exhaust,intake,or gears with a stock motor for the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:36 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

I agree, don't get a chip unless it's a custom burn. But, you need some mods to make it worth your while.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:37 AM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

Yes this is true. If u dont have a cam or anything then u should really consider using that money for something else unless your gettin it for dirt cheap.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:11 AM
fantasyfords
1st Gear Member

Yea its prety cheap,probably less than thirty bucks. Maybe cheaper. I figured what the hell. Long as I dont do any damage. Shouldnt hurt my car sould it? Thanks again,

Jeremy
Old 04-02-2004, 03:18 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

i don't agree with the others. i put a Hypertech chip on my 88 automatic and it did make a difference and i have the timeslips to prove it. if you do install it, just make sure you set the timing back to stock as the chip advances it and it will ping if you don't. after using it for a while, you can make small moves up with the timing until it pings and then back it down about 1/2 degree and leave it there. don't know about the diff between an auto and manual, especially with an AOD because the computer doesn't have anything to do with the shift points until you get an AODE tranny. the motor doesn't run richer because it is an auto either! they use a bit more gas because of slippage in the tranny in 1st and 2nd gear, after that the converter locks up and it's just like a clutch car. Once you do other mods, then you need to go to a custom burned chip!